Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Niro in September and still hardly know how to drive it. Put the shift lever in Sport position today and noticed no real change in how it drives. What's it there for? I was hoping for some engine compression braking coming down a steep hill with a turn at the bottom. Totaled a nice little Porsche there years ago spinning out on a slippery road. Big drop off on the sides of the hill. Had a boat on a trailer going down that hill (also years ago) and ball came loose. Safety chains broke. Boat and trailer hit a tree six feet off the ground. Got to admit my driving skills could stand a little work.:(

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Low compression engine equals poor compression braking. Touch the brakes for more regenerative braking. That is better capture of energy than the wasted heat generation of compression braking. Sport mode keeps the engine on so you are wasting gas slowing down.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I use Sport mode for acceleration only. Keep it in Sport through the first 3 gears and back to normal for the next 3. Like an overdrive transmission.

Doesn't seem to do much for slowing down.

Mostly it keeps people from labeling you an idiot hybrid driver when the giant triaxle dump truck filled with gravel accelerates faster than you!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Sport mode keeps engine on, remaps the accelerator pedal, and holds gears longer. That makes it feel more responsive, but it won't change your 0-60 time pedal to the floor.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sport mode keeps engine on, remaps the accelerator pedal, and holds gears longer. That makes it feel more responsive, but it won't change your 0-60 time pedal to the floor.
I can drive in EV with Sport mode engaged.

Try this test. Accelerate normally and while you are accelerating, move the gear lever to Sport. Dont change foot on accelerator position.

Theres a huge difference in performance. I think its more than a few simple remaps.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Done that, get immediate acceleration. This is because current pedal position has been remapped. Try 0-60 in both modes. It is possible that the car will launch slightly better in sport (first 10 feet) which could result in a tenth or so faster to 60. Imperceptible though I think. Pedal response of course is snappy in sport, but you get the same result if you push the pedal further in drive.

What do you do to get sport enabled in EV? Does the battery have to be fully charged first? We are discussing the HEV?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Coming home today from work, turned into my housing plan, engadged sport and had EV almost the entire 1/4 mile to my house. Sport doesnt seem to do anything when EV mode is active.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts