Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I get one of the two Niro's I am looking at I would like to add a CD player. Just wondering if anybody has added one and the best way to do so.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Usually I check out Crutchfield for problems like this. However this time this popped up...

• We don't recommend replacing the radio in your vehicle.
  • None of these items fits your Niro.
Does the current stereo have an aux audio in. If so that may be the way to go.

Buy a 12v small stand alone unit, and use a 3.5 mm cord to plug it in.
Or go the route I did, add an Ipod. Mine has approx 6 thousand songs, it will take weeks of driving before I repeat a song!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I didn't want to replace the stereo I was trying to thinking of an easy way to add a CD player maybe through a USB or an auxiliary Jack I do have an iPod but didn't want to transfer all my CDs to it

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you ever want to transcode your CD's, I used "POIKOSOFT EZ CD Audio Converter CD Ripper, Audio Converter, Disc Burner" software. Google it. I ripped my 750 CD collection. It took about 35 sec per disc. This might be an easier route than finding a CD player.
Good luck in any case!!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
An iPod or cellphone sure takes up a lot less room than 300 plus CDs in your Niro! Both are less messy to hook up than a CD player that will need both power and audio cables to connect - just the USB port is all that is needed. I will admit that before iPods, I did haul a couple hundred CDs around with me in a binder or two. Then I used a cable adaptor for my DVD changer input (on back of OEM radio) to make it easy to use my iPod. Those days are long gone. Welcome to 2018!

That said, you should be able to do a neat install job of any slot loading CD player in the bin between the front seats. I haven't looked in the Niro yet, but lots of Kias have USB (for power) and AUX in for audio in that location.

If you like listening to complete CDs only and know which ones you want to listen to that day (like which physical CDs you take with you in the car), and for whatever bizarre reason you don't want to mess with your iPod, consider simply loading whatever CDs you want onto a thumb drive (or memory stick). I assume of course that you have burned all your CDs to your computer. Do it during breakfast.

On that same note, Apple used to sell an iPod that was basically a memory stick. Snag one on eBay for better browsing of your CDs directly on the Niro touch screen. I'm not sure how the Niro will display and browse a standard memory stick. While you are considering your options, also consider buying a used older MacBook on eBay just for managing your music on iTunes and easy swapping of music on your iPod. You can set up playlists easily, including complete CDs and swap out your iPod library with a couple clicks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just put a bunch of music on memory sticks, 4 or 5 hundred songs each and I have 4 or 5 sticks with different kinds of music on them. My wife and I don't like the same music. haha.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yup, CD players are being phased out and I'm sometimes surprised to see them in new car models these days. Only a matter of time until they're all gone along with aftermarket options.
On the bright side, USBs can be cheaply purchased in bulk and easier to organize.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah considering that most cars also pair with your phone, there is little need for CD players. Music has gone the way of digital storage and that's to everyone's benefit. Not to mention by doing things digitally you can make playlists of hundreds of songs as opposed to the 20 or so you'd fit on a CD. I still remember the days of using a tape deck converter to play old school walkmans.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found my old Ipod, had to buy a new cable plugged it in to the USB port and it works great. Have some of my CD's on it just have to get back into Itunes and add some more. I was hoping that the USB port inside the center console would work for connecting the Ipod but it must just be for charging. I could have left it in there out of sight.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I found my old Ipod, had to buy a new cable plugged it in to the USB port and it works great. Have some of my CD's on it just have to get back into Itunes and add some more. I was hoping that the USB port inside the center console would work for connecting the Ipod but it must just be for charging. I could have left it in there out of sight.
Do you have an iphone? If so, you have the music from your itunes on your phone and you should be able to play it through bluetooth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts