Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,557 Posts
Do you have to? Not at all. Depending on if you have the HEV or PHEV, you might want to use Sport for different reasons. In the hybrid, Sport mode simply sharpens up throttle response, and also puts the transmission in manual shift mode. If you don't want to mess with needing to shift yourself, there's really not much reason to use sport. But if you don't mind shifting yourself, the car feels more responsive and is more "fun" to drive. But sport also keeps the engine running far more than in hybrid mode, so don't expect as good of fuel economy in sport.

For the PHEV, sport allows maintaining and even charging the battery, at the expense of slightly higher fuel consumption. I do use sport while climbing a mountain pass, partially because hybrid mode often shifts into a lower gear than I feel necessary, which makes the car louder inside. But I also want to save my EV range for non-highway driving, as I feel it's more advantageous to be in EV mode when driving more in-town.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have to? Not at all. Depending on if you have the HEV or PHEV, you might want to use Sport for different reasons. In the hybrid, Sport mode simply sharpens up throttle response, and also puts the transmission in manual shift mode. If you don't want to mess with needing to shift yourself, there's really not much reason to use sport. But if you don't mind shifting yourself, the car feels more responsive and is more "fun" to drive. But sport also keeps the engine running far more than in hybrid mode, so don't expect as good of fuel economy in sport.

For the PHEV, sport allows maintaining and even charging the battery, at the expense of slightly higher fuel consumption. I do use sport while climbing a mountain pass, partially because hybrid mode often shifts into a lower gear than I feel necessary, which makes the car louder inside. But I also want to save my EV range for non-highway driving, as I feel it's more advantageous to be in EV mode when driving more in-town.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So how do you use it for climbing a mountain? I was told their are 8 gears. I have no idea how to shift nor how many times

·
Registered
513 Posts
Sport Mode DOES NOT REQUIRE MANUAL SHIFTING!!!!!!!!!

Simply moving the shift lever over to the left engages Auto Sport Mode. The transmission will act exactly the same way as if you placed it in Drive, with the added benefit of the better throttle response, faster acceleration and higher shift points. Sport Mode can help slow you down, like when coming down a mountain, almost like downshifting in a manual transmission car.

If you WANT to shift, you can by moving the shift lever over and forward or backward to shift up or down.

I use Auto Sport mode like this: At a stop, move the lever over, accelerate through the first 3 gears, move the lever back and drive normally. This gives you much better 'get-up-and-go" without sacrificing a MPG hit.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Well, yes and no. It will change gears itself while in sport mode, as will any automatic transmission that is placed in a specific gear position. The issue is that it won't shift until the computer determines you're either approaching the engine redline (maximum RPM) or in danger of lugging the engine (too low of RPM). Neither extreme are efficient places for an engine to be.

It also runs the engine the majority of the time, so your MPG will suffer quite a bit over hybrid mode.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
So how do you use it for climbing a mountain? I was told their are 8 gears. I have no idea how to shift nor how many times
The PHEV has 6 speeds, and I believe the hybrid has seven. But I could be wrong about the hybrid.

I've been driving for so many decades, I don't even think about when to shift, as it's instinct from the sound of the engine and the speed of the car. When you shift into Sport mode, a tachometer appears on the display. Different models have different displays, so I can't say exactly where it appears in yours. I don't worry about downshifting, as Griswald mentioned it will do that pretty well by itself. For upshifting, it's dependent on the engine load, so going up a hill I might not shift until 3000 RPM or higher. If it's flatter terrain, I generally shift around 2000 RPM or so.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well, yes and no. It will change gears itself while in sport mode, as will any automatic transmission that is placed in a specific gear position. The issue is that it won't shift until the computer determines you're either approaching the engine redline (maximum RPM) or in danger of lugging the engine (too low of RPM). Neither extreme are efficient places for an engine to be.

It also runs the engine the majority of the time, so your MPG will suffer quite a bit over hybrid mode.
That is DEAD WRONG.

I do this a multiple times a day and have never manually shifted once. If you HAVE TO shift, you are putting it in Manual Sport Mode, not Auto Sport Mode.

Also, at low speeds in Auto Sport Mode, the vehicle will run in EV mode with no trouble.

Oh, and I also have never seen a tachometer in my Hybrid. I added one aftermarket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Simply moving the shift lever over to the left engages Auto Sport Mode. The transmission will act exactly the same way as if you placed it in Drive, with the added benefit of the better throttle response, faster acceleration and higher shift points. Sport Mode can help slow you down, like when coming down a mountain, almost like downshifting in a manual transmission car.

If you WANT to shift, you can by moving the shift lever over and forward or backward to shift up or down.

I use Auto Sport mode like this: At a stop, move the lever over, accelerate through the first 3 gears, move the lever back and drive normally. This gives you much better 'get-up-and-go" without sacrificing a MPG hit.
Moving the shift to the left their is both a - and a + so I start in - and move to + for each gear? still confused....maybe will let the car figure out the hills and montains on it's own?

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
I don't agree, but that's fine. But I'm not "dead wrong". If I don't shift myself, the engine revs far higher than I care for. Especially from a dead stop. It's unnecessary and uses more fuel than needed. It forces the engine to run at all times except for coming to a stop, going down a hill steep enough to need braking/regen, or while stopped.

I've never driven a Niro HEV, so can't speak to their dash display. But my son-in-law's Ioniq (same powertrain from the parent company) does display a tach when using sport mode. I was assuming the Kia did as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for feedback.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Moving the shift to the left their is both a - and a + so I start in - and move to + for each gear? still confused....maybe will let the car figure out the hills and mountains on it's own?
Yes, when in sport mode you move the lever to + to upshift and - to downshift. Yes, the car will figure it out on its own, so you really don't need to use sport mode. It's simply there for a different driving experience. If you never use it, you're not doing anything wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't agree, but that's fine. But I'm not "dead wrong". If I don't shift myself, the engine revs far higher than I care for. Especially from a dead stop. It's unnecessary and uses more fuel than needed. It forces the engine to run at all times except for coming to a stop, going down a hill steep enough to need braking/regen, or while stopped.

I've never driven a Niro HEV, so can't speak to their dash display. But my son-in-law's Ioniq (same powertrain from the parent company) does display a tach when using sport mode. I was assuming the Kia did as well.
Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
HEV/PHEV have identical drivetrains with 6 forward speeds dual clutch transmission plus reverse. I say reverse specifically because it is part of the transmission. It took me a long time to understand that and I still don't understand the need for added complexity versus just using the motor like a battery electric car to reverse direction. I just assumed that it worked like a BEV when I bought it for reversing.
So when you use sport mode do you just move the ignition to the left and do not shift?
Yes, you can do that. This is an automatic transmission so it will just shift as needed. Sport mode is primarily just for fun. In a couple of different ways it increases apparent throttle sensitivity and will make your car feel more responsive. And you can shift the gears like many other automatics/manual when you want to have fun doing so. When do you need it? Honestly, never. Haven't touched it in more than two years (I've owned my Niro for 3 years).

About the only place you may want to experiment with it is when you need a fast take-off from a start to turn or cross a road in heavy traffic. It doesn't actually cross any faster than eco mode, but the apparent responsiveness may make you feel safer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The niro hybrid or plug in hybrid has 6 forward gears not 7 or 8 , like was mentioned above just by moving gear shifter to the left it will give you some zip right away like when turning left on a solid green light . The throttle response in regular mode is very gentle . More so than other cars that I've driven.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sport mode keeps the ice rpm up by using a lower gear for a given vehicle speed. Higher rpms means more HP. Higher HP means faster acceleration thus more responsive but lower MPG.

HP=torque x rpm/5250

Ice is typically most efficient at 2000 rpm. 4000 rpm is less efficient but about 2x the HP.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Sport mode keeps the ice rpm up by using a lower gear for a given vehicle speed. Higher rpms means more HP. Higher HP means faster acceleration thus more responsive but lower MPG.

HP=torque x rpm/5250

Ice is typically most efficient at 2000 rpm. 4000 rpm is less efficient but about 2x the HP.
Torque is what accelerates you. HP makes you go fast after you get going.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Torque is what accelerates you. HP makes you go fast after you get going.
yes. f=ma a=f/m Torque is force. Torque accelerates you.

HP= torque x rpm /5252

Torque multiplied by rpm returns horsepower. Basically, the faster the crankshaft spins with the same amount of force, the more power an engine will make. A car with more hp than torque will always be quicker since this gives a car acceleration and speed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts