Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

When I drive around and it's about 1 in the afternoon the sun is absolutely brutal as it reflects off this at the perfect angle into all front passenger faces. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? What can I do about it? Is there like a film or something I could apply to it or do I need to remove/paint?

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV
8 Posts

When I drive around and it's about 1 in the afternoon the sun is absolutely brutal as it reflects off this at the perfect angle into all front passenger faces. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? What can I do about it? Is there like a film or something I could apply to it or do I need to remove/paint?
I wrote a post about the EXACT same issue! We are thinking about putting some blackout "tint" on that part. I am also wondering if it will help when we have the side windows tinted. It is an awful angle, directed right at your eyes!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm really bummed because I just bought it and it's brand new and I just didn't notice because I test drove it at night.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you’re adventurous, you can mask off everything else in the interior and Plastidip the chrome strip.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There's blue tape in mine now (blue painter's tape), but soon I will have something that will adapt to the complex curves, and not look like someone put tape on the dashboard.

Greg

·
Registered
2020 Red Kia Niro EV EX Premium, 2020 White Kia Niro EV EX Premium
9 Posts
Same issue for me and I have two 2020 Niro EVs to do. I would also like to have a matte surface on the flat black panel the display sits in, that sometimes reflects, too. The next place is where the gear selector knob is. I'd like that to not be reflective. Definitely report on what you finally do.

I know Tesla's had an issue with gloss black surfaces and they finally went to a matte finish due to complaints. Maybe Kia will do the same, though that doesn't help us right now.

·
Registered
2020 Red Kia Niro EV EX Premium, 2020 White Kia Niro EV EX Premium
9 Posts
That tape you linked is GLOSSY..... not a good idea
I thought that at first, too, because of what was in the description but the title clearly says, "VViViD Black Matte Air-Release Adhesive Vinyl Tape Roll (1 Inch x 20ft)" so I think the vendor was just copying the details from the glossy tape listing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I thought that at first, too, because of what was in the description but the title clearly says, "VViViD Black Matte Air-Release Adhesive Vinyl Tape Roll (1 Inch x 20ft)" so I think the vendor was just copying the details from the glossy tape listing.
If you buy the tape from Amazon you can always return it if the matte tape is too glossy.
The glare is really blinding. Mine’s a lease so I don’t want to do anything not easily and cleanly reversible.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I noticed the “glossy” description too but if you read the reviews, someone says it’s not glossy at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I noticed the “glossy” description too but if you read the reviews, someone says it’s not glossy at all.
Yeah, that tape is not glossy. It's not as matte/flat as I would prefer, but definitely cuts down on the reflections. I have worked out a template for the dash so I can cut out a piece of the same material to vinyl wrap the dash over the glossy black surfaces. Where is NHTSA? I mean this is a serious safety issue in my opinion and should be banned on all interior surfaces. I don't think the sun shines in S. Korea or their designers are completely asleep and oblivious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah, that tape is not glossy. It's not as matte/flat as I would prefer, but definitely cuts down on the reflections. I have worked out a template for the dash so I can cut out a piece of the same material to vinyl wrap the dash over the glossy black surfaces. Where is NHTSA? I mean this is a serious safety issue in my opinion and should be banned on all interior surfaces. I don't think the sun shines in S. Korea or their designers are completely asleep and oblivious.

Was wondering if anyone else saw the same problem. My wife would always complain about it reflecting in the passenger window when I was driving.in addition to blinding me Considered paint but needed to come off for a good job. Instead I found some tape:at Office Depot: Scotch brand "chalkboard Tape" 2 inches widde by 5 yrds. Has a paper backing to reveal the glue. It is stretchy,removable,,and black with a very light sheen that almost matches the surrounding black plastic Was easy to cut to width and put in place. I'll see how lomg it lasts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
blue door: be sure not to wrap over the mood lighting on the underside of the shiny strip...

Greg
Greg,

I am aware of those lights, but I was not planning on wrapping the vinyl around the front nose of the shiny trim since that surface does not reflect -- but I thank you for the caution.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts