Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you buy the tape from Amazon you can always return it if the matte tape is too glossy.
The glare is really blinding. Mine’s a lease so I don’t want to do anything not easily and cleanly reversible.
I found this tape at Joanne’s fabric & craft store. Two inches wide and matte.

It’s easy to work with and removable. Important for my leased Niro EV.
Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
This issue needs an immediate fix by the manufacturer. Are there any complaints on it? I got almost blinded for ~1h at the middle of driving in a highway and could not do anything to fix it. The reflected sunlight almost blinded my side-mirror and could barely see the cars nearby (was mainly counting on the driver assistance mode for turns). I will apply some tapes urgently to fix it but it can be possibly a dirty fix (the tape may leave residues, it might get degraded or smelly, specially in hot summer).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think Kia should come up with something. I love the car **** it is awful. I watched many "reviews" on utoob and can't believe no one noticed this. Mine is covered in green "frog" tape for now.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
After taping, it looks a bit ugly but there is no safety issue now.

The Kia team did not notice this in the design step, possibly because they were using very very dark sun glasses during the day :cool: or all the tests were done at night or at cloudy weather. It is strange that such basic safety issues get repeated in the LX 2021. If it is the case, it might be better for Kia to do their safety design tests in various countries to avoid getting impacted by local weather, by local very dark sun glasses or any other reasons...

·
Registered
1 Posts
If enough folks complain to NHTSA about this, you might see them open an investigation and possibly pressure Kia to fix the issue. Clearly it's a safety issue.

Do Niro models other than the EV have the same issue?

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
How many complains are needed to push Kia to fix this issue? If it works, they should recall the cars to the local dealers to fix the issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How many complains are needed to push Kia to fix this issue? If it works, they should recall the cars to the local dealers to fix the issues.
I reported it to NHTSA. It only takes 5 minutes. I've attached my report. I've categorized it as a "visibility" problem. All who are reading this thread should, likewise, file a report. If the earlier years of the Niro have this issue, encourage every owner you know to file a report. That's how things will get done.
BTW: Do take a picture showing the glare (and even the glare you see from the trim in the side mirror) and attach that to the report.
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had seen some mention online of this issue prior to buying my car so it wasn't a total surprise, but when I picked up my 2021 Niro EV last week and drove it home for the first time I was still caught off guard by how bright the early afternoon sun glare was off the dash.

Polarized sunglasses helped a bit, but this feels like a "how did this get past QA for multiple years?" design flaw.

It's as if the material, paint, and angles were all specifically engineered to direct as much sunlight directly into the driver and front passenger's eyes as possible.

The Niro EV is a great car otherwise, and I am leasing so I'm going to avoid putting adhesive tape on the trim, but this is one of the few downsides I have noticed so far (another being the backup beep that's about 5 times louder than it needs to be).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought some matte black masking tape at Walmart yesterday and applied it to portions of the trim. Once I get the car out of the garage today or tomorrow, I'll take a few photos and post.

I also have a can of Rustoleum flat black oil-based enamel I use for camera-related accessories. I applied that to a very small portion of the trim by the driver's door just to see how it wears. But if the tape works in the sections I've masked off, I may just let it go and know that $2.50 worth of tape should last 10 years if I have to re-apply it periodically.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
I test drove a 2021 Niro EV yesterday, and experienced this issue. With my sunglasses on it was tolerable, but it certainly should have some other sort of trim on that piece.

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV SX
19 Posts
I wonder why I have never had the problem? Thinking about it I have had the windows tinted to the max allowable and ceramic film place all around. Yes including the windshield. Could this be the reason!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wonder why I have never had the problem? Thinking about it I have had the windows tinted to the max allowable and ceramic film place all around. Yes including the windshield. Could this be the reason!
My '21 Niro has the ceramic tinting on the rear and side windows. Nothing on the front window (as that is not permitted in most states). I'd imagine front tinting will reduce the problem (as the light causing this issue comes in the front window) but, if (in your case) it eliminates it, I'd be worrying that the front window's tinting renders you car dangerous to drive at night.:eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought some matte black masking tape at Walmart yesterday and applied it to portions of the trim. Once I get the car out of the garage today or tomorrow, I'll take a few photos and post.

I also have a can of Rustoleum flat black oil-based enamel I use for camera-related accessories. I applied that to a very small portion of the trim by the driver's door just to see how it wears. But if the tape works in the sections I've masked off, I may just let it go and know that $2.50 worth of tape should last 10 years if I have to re-apply it periodically.
Sorry; haven't taken any photos but, today, I was out in what would have otherwise been a reflective blinding sun. The black tape—which seems to be about the same surface texture and color as the dashboard top—resolved the problem. I ran the tape from just before where the downward bend happens on the left over to just after the right bend; it took three pieces of tape to cover most of that area. I also used the tape on the dashboard trim to the left of the driver (one piece). No more blinding reflection. Cheap fix without permanently altering the interior. It took about 15 minutes to do it semi-carefully.

·
Super Moderator
617 Posts
I test drove a 2021 Niro EV yesterday, and experienced this issue. With my sunglasses on it was tolerable, but it certainly should have some other sort of trim on that piece.
thinking of changing your phev ??

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
thinking of changing your phev ??
I have 9 months left on the lease, so yes it's time to start looking. The problem is that dealerships of all makes have nothing I want. Even if I wanted to just get a new Niro PHEV (I don't) there's none in the EX Premium trim. Ventilated seats have really spoiled me. :D And with the inflated prices of used cars, I actually have some equity in my Niro. Not much, maybe a grand or so.

I like the Niro, but the PHEV is lacking sufficient power in EV mode to climb the hills I live around. I'd get the Niro EV in a second, but no dual zone HVAC. You can't get a RAV4 Prime within 800 miles of Seattle (and I think most of the ones listed in CA aren't actually at the dealer), the Escape PHEV isn't shipping yet. There's a BMW X3 PHEV nearby, but that's $60K for only 22 miles of range. But it is a nice driving PHEV.

I'm concerned with manufacturers actually getting stock out before my lease is up. And the wife really doesn't want to go full EV yet, although she's completely on-board with a PHEV. I could probably even talk her into a i3 REx, but again there's nothing available anywhere close to me. And I'm not someone who can buy a car sight unseen, without even a test drive. If I went EV, I could get an ID.4 almost immediately. Or as mentioned a Niro EV. My local dealer has one '21 model, and they have a $3000 second sticker on it. They said they'd love to have mine on trade, but they won't discuss dropping the second sticker. There's a couple of Leaf models available in the top trim, but I wasn't too keen on the driving position. There's really no comfortable place for the driver's left foot. But as an EV it drove nice.

I think I've derailed this thread enough ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
The i3 has been discontinued. :confused:

I wanted the bottom of the line Niro (LX in 2021) as it had all the tzachkis I needed. As well, the 16" wheels contributed to the better MPG. (48+ in the city, 55 hwy @ 67MPH - yes, I'm impressed) I didn't get a bargain price but it was thou$ands less than the upgraded models.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts