Kia Niro Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
617 Posts
@atc98092, thanks for the response! and yes, the "no" dual zone in the Niro EV is the only downside of it! (n)

Now, to come back to the original post, i have bought this kit, and lets try to see what it will look like and see if i am good in "wrapping".. LOL

·
Registered
2021 Kia Niro PHEV EX (Deep Cerulean)
18 Posts
I'm going to have a guy who wraps cars put some matte wrap on it. It sucks...

Greg
I would love to hear how this went. Where did you go? What did you pay? How does it look? Better than my "five minutes with some tape" effort? What material was used? How much of the trim piece was covered?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV SX
19 Posts
My '21 Niro has the ceramic tinting on the rear and side windows. Nothing on the front window (as that is not permitted in most states). I'd imagine front tinting will reduce the problem (as the light causing this issue comes in the front window) but, if (in your case) it eliminates it, I'd be worrying that the front window's tinting renders you car dangerous to drive at night.:eek:
Ceramic film is CLEAR and is a heat repellant and is legal in all States I believe. The ceramic film was placed over all windows even those factory tinted and over the front side windows tinted tinted by Tint King.

·
Registered
2020 Niro EV SX
19 Posts
So I guess my ceramic film on the wind shield along with the tinting on the side windows does it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I guess my ceramic film on the wind shield along with the tinting on the side windows does it.
Pamsboy,
I have been having the blinding light problem and have looked into having a wrap applied over the offending metal.
The other option, a bit more expensive is to have a film applied to windshield and possibly front side windows. I am also in Canada, and am wondering what product you had applied if you don't mind. Something like this:
3M™ Automotive Window Film Ceramic IR Series?
It says it is available in an attractive neutral colour? What does that even mean?? Is neutral 3M speak for clear??

·
Registered
5 Posts

When I drive around and it's about 1 in the afternoon the sun is absolutely brutal as it reflects off this at the perfect angle into all front passenger faces. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? What can I do about it? Is there like a film or something I could apply to it or do I need to remove/paint?
I pointed this out to the salesman when I test drove the car. Shiney **** on the dashboard is a problem manufacturers need to get away from.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
I looked at Niro EV 2022 and the shiny dash issue is still there. With a high probability, my next car will be from other brands...

·
Registered
207 Posts
As harsh as a statement that the car is unacceptable because of a shiny strip on the dash. There are NO perfect cars.

You don't see the humor in the statement?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, after a month with the black masking tape in place, the issue has essentially disappeared. Funny thing is that my wife (who sits in the front passenger seat) hasn't even noticed the tape yet! But she also hasn't seen any glare off that trim either.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
I did not have a major issue with the front shiny dash and it is not strange that your wife has not noticed it yet :). The issue was severe while I was driving and wanted to use the left mirror in a highway (I could see three extremely bright lines, reflected from shiny vent, in the left mirror). After returning home, I immediately purchased black tapes from Amazon to fix this issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did not have a major issue with the front shiny dash and it is not strange that your wife has not noticed it yet :). The issue was severe while I was driving and wanted to use the left mirror in a highway (I could see three extremely bright lines, reflected from shiny vent, in the left mirror). After returning home, I immediately purchased black tapes from Amazon to fix this issue.
What my wife didn't notice was the black tape. As that resolved the glare issue for me, I'm not surprised she hasn't seen it (the glare).

I had glare while looking at the left side mirror but it came from the horizontal trim piece (the continuation of the shiny trim from the other side of the steering wheel). Black tape resolved that.

In fact, everything else about the Niro is just fine: Comfort, lack of noise, MPG (52 around town), plenty of room. I did buy the retractable cargo cover from an Amazon vendor and it's also perfect. Just need to get a set of Maxliner mats to keep things clean. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think this car is fantastic!!. Glare is unfortunate. We are currently in negotiations over colour of wrap for dash piece. Kids think something teal to match the teal at front and back of car. Not sure that would transmit glare as well. Otherwise basic black will be fine. Have I mentioned how much I love this car!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just completed a 3000 mile trip (El Paso > St. Paul and back with visits to friends/family). The black tape did the job perfectly. I'm going to finish covering the rest of that shiny trim piece with the black tape just to even things up. Let that be the worst thing about my Niro. :LOL:

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro EV EX Premium
3 Posts
After having read this thread before I leased my Niro EV, I was just waiting to see how bad this issue was, but after two months, I've only seen it once. So I guess it really depends on your typical drive, driving habits, and/or a bit of luck as to how much you see this issue. Could change down the road, but so far so good! Loving this car!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts