Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
What lies under those hubcaps? Actually a fairly nice set of five spoke rims. If you don't hv the coin to get rims and want a change checkout what's under the hubcaps.
Eric- I did notice that after I bought LX model. Pretty nice looking grey rims, and I believe they are aluminum alloys also.
I like the covers, because theyre not as hard to clean as rims, and don't need to wax. Just wash and apply Armour-All.
But I know a lot of people like having alloy rims and the dark grey is very nice.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Agree look nice on Black Car.

I had cover off to repair a flat tire. Pearl White EX, can't even remember what the wheel was. I think black.

I have put a pretty good size scratch on right front wheel cover when I touched it against a curb pulling over to parallel park. Need some matching silver paint to touch it up.

Or, take the covers off -- not sure my wife would go for that look (she is primary user of the NIRO).

·
Registered
367 Posts
You could always use that peel-off paint (Plasti-dip or Dupli-Color or Rustoleum brands) to change the wheel color to match or contrast the body color. That would be simple on those wheels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hub caps are just there for decoration and to reduce the amount of dirt and moisture on the wheels. Just hose the wheels off now and then and you're fine. Source, I once lost a hub cap and just took off the rest.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone done this?

What lies under those hubcaps? Actually a fairly nice set of five spoke rims. If you don't hv the coin to get rims and want a change checkout what's under the hubcaps.
I am looking forward to doing this, but have gone crazy looking for center caps(dust caps) that would fit. They are 2-5/8" (66.675mm) diameter and the clip cutouts are inward toward the rotor. Anyone found a solution? I wouldn't consider taking the wheel covers off without them due to the amount of dirt that would collect by the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Speaking of those hubcaps, I must of scraped one of my covers on a curb, It wasn’t to bad but it bothered me. I called the dealer to get a price on a replacement, $120.00 for one. WTF. Luckily I found a guy selling 4 on ebay. I won all four for a total price of about $75. These came off a new 2018 but are identical to the ones I have on my 2017. Why would a piece of plastic be so expensive?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hub caps are just there for decoration and to reduce the amount of dirt and moisture on the wheels. Just hose the wheels off now and then and you're fine. Source, I once lost a hub cap and just took off the rest.
This is an old thread, but are the hubcaps secured by the lug nuts where you have to unscrew them to take the covers off or do the just pop off and on?

·
Super Moderator
499 Posts
are the hubcaps secured by the lug nuts where you have to unscrew them to take the covers off or do the just pop off and on?

Yes, they are locked/secured by the nuts on the alloy wheels.!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could always use that peel-off paint (Plasti-dip or Dupli-Color or Rustoleum brands) to change the wheel color to match or contrast the body color. That would be simple on those wheels.

That’s exactly what I did n they look great it was super easy to do as well cuz I hated the look of the hubcaps made it feel like it was my grandpas car or something lol now it’s got more character n I love the look Check out my before n after pics below

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
That’s exactly what I did n they look great it was super easy to do as well cuz I hated the look of the hubcaps made it feel like it was my grandpas car or something lol now it’s got more character n I love the look Check out my before n after pics below
Great improvement. Did you Plastidip the lug nuts as well? Won’t they get damaged when you have to take the wheels off and on?

And did anyone ever find a center cap for the wheels that fit the opening?

·
Registered
243 Posts
You plastidip painted wheels look nice . But painted black lug nuts? Did you take the wheels off before painting.
Might look nicer with the nuts a silver color -- chrome nuts anyone? :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts