Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a Niro and enjoyed it but I'm little scared to make a move with all the problems showing up on the forum. I want to hear from hopefully the silent majority. What's your car's mileage and have you had any problems?

It is my first post so let me say hello to the Kia Niro universe :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I test drove a Niro and enjoyed it but I'm little scared to make a move with all the problems showing up on the forum. I want to hear from hopefully the silent majority. What's your car's mileage and have you had any problems?

It is my first post so let me say hello to the Kia Niro universe :)
45~60 mpg in HEV mode, 30mi range and 3.7mi per Kwhr in EV mode.

No problems at all.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have an LX. Last tank was 54.5mpg. So far no problems. Seems like a great car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had mine for 7 weeks but I haven't put any gas in it yet! All local electric driving. I had a problem with the charging cord but the dealer replaced it and all has been fine since. Most of the problems I've seen on this site have to do with the 2017 models. We'll see if any problems start to show up with the 2018's now that they've been around a while.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Touring model, just under 20,000 miles in a year. 43 MPG in winter, closer to 46 in summer.

I drive 30 miles each way to work at highway speeds, so my MPG's are a bit down form most.

Absolutely zero problems, a few annoyances, but no real problems. The cruise control sucks...

16 cement blocks, a shovel, rake and mattox and 2 large tool bags in there this weekend, oh, and I have pulled downed trees into the woods with mine...its trying to be a truck, so I let it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2017 EX w/ Tech Pkg. 11 months old and have 41,000 on it. Lots of highway driving so my mpg is lower then most but very good in my opinion. Will be updating my Fuelly later today so you will see my mpg.

No problems and only a couple of annoyances.

·
Registered
57 Posts
2018 Kia Niro EX Phev

I have owned the plug in for two weeks. I mostly do local driving in a small rural coastal city so I'll be able avoid using gas most of the time. Presently I get three days on a 26 mile charge before I have to recharge the battery. I take a three hour round trip for shopping at Costco and Walmart on average every two months. I'll need to run the gas engine on those trips for sure. The dealer filled up my tank and I only used 1/16th of a tank for the two hour ride home. I plan on running the gas engine a couple of days to work each month whether I need to or not. When I do need to put some gas in the tank I'm going to only fill up half the tank. I'm still reading the owner's manual and learning more each day but I'm really happy with this purchase so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pretty consistent to the 26mile per charge, maybe a little less bcs I run the climate ctrl system (lowest driverside fan only). I've been running it off if ev charges for the past 1000 miles and am down to about the 1/3 tank mark of the 1st tank. Haven't had to fill up yet. My commute to work is just shy of 25 miles and I use a little hev to get to my destination. Overall phev the system says my mpge is 89!

·
Registered
227 Posts
2017 LX non plug-in, owned a little over a year, 12.8k miles. Mostly highway and town driving, very little city driving. No problems at all.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I test drove a Niro and enjoyed it but I'm little scared to make a move with all the problems showing up on the forum.
Exactly what problems are you referring to? Every car forum out there has lots of problems reported because it is just human nature to share the grief, or to seek solutions. Consumer Reports called the Niro the most reliable new car in 2017.

I've gone 7,500 miles with annoyances, but no issues needing to be addressed by dealer.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just turned 5k on my 18 EX. No problems to report, love the AC, that eats some mpg, so do hills.

I have noticed an approx 3 mpg difference between on screen mpg, and calculated!

One day my iPod overheated, but the car ran fine in 117° actual!

Ouch that's HOT!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the great messages.

The problems run the gamut from door handles falling off to brakes failing and yes there are probably a bunch of problems mentioned on other car forums doesn't make it any easier. It's nice to read messages from people who aren't having any problems.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Same on my 2018 PHEV LX. Nothing bad to report, it's all good! Best decision I ever made! Operating costs are lowest I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
40 Posts
18 LX PHEV. Over 2500miles so far. Drive it dark my 110mi round trip. Zero issues. To be honest every vehicle can have small nit pick issues or recalls, but I have not heard of anything major with the Niro. Some folks are getting software updates or upgrades at the dealer and seems to just be for Hybrids not the Plug-Ins. I’ve been extremely happy with the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have 1000 miles on my 2018 EX Premium PHEV. Over 100MPG since I drive only short distances mostly EV. I haven't put gas in it yet.

My only complaints are no sunroof option, no automatic rear door open and small wheels.

I think it is a great car for the money especially after incentives. In California I am getting a $1500 check from the state, ~$4500 federal tax incentive and I also got clean air stickers to drive in the HOV lane solo and a $15/mo discount from my electric company.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a 2017 Touring w/tech pkg. It will be a year old next month and it’s coming up on 15k miles. The dealer recommends service every 7500 miles so I just had them do my second oil change and first tire rotation. While they had it, they took care of some minor recalls but I’ve had zero problems and zero complaints. The car is a pleasure to drive and the mileage is as good as my Prius!

I was a little apprehensive about buying a first year of production model but I did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos on this car. (I first saw it at the auto show back in January of 2017, test drove one later that spring but wasn’t ready to buy until August. As I said, my previous car was a 2012 Prius so I was not new to hybrids. However, in spite of Toyota’s reputation for reliability, my Prius stopped running one day and had to be towed to a dealer. It was one of the hybrid computer components which, fortunately, was still under warranty but it just proves ANY car can have a problem at any time. The Prius breakdown occurred in the fall of 2016 and I had already decided I didn’t like the new design so I started looking at other hybrids.

This first year with the KIA Niro has been problem free and I would recommend the car to anyone (just keep your AAA membership paid up!)

·
Registered
76 Posts
2018 EX Premium PHEV. 3000 miles, zero problems. 30 miles per charge here in FL with a/c blasting. Worst HEV mileage, 58. Complaints....windshield wipers inadequate for heavy downpour. Factory nav will sometimes send you to a point on the Interstate instead of the proper business location - Navigate to LaMesa RV in Sanford FL as an example - but I always use CarPlay or Android Auto anyway, so not a problem. Wish it had a 360 camera view, I think the LKAS should work better, don’t care for the red instrument illumination at night, no brake hold, no auto resume, etc. All relatively minor. I will probably be most concerned about trade in value. However, the Kia/Hyundai group has led the JD Power surveys for the last several years, beating MB, Porsche/Audi, Toyota, Honda, etc so hopefully the depreciation will not be bad.
I will probably trade it for a Niro BEV extended range model when it is available unless something better comes out. The current Ionic BEV has been kicking ass and I assume the Niro BEV will up the ante. Also considering the Jag IPace, but the back seat ingress is a real pain. Super nice otherwise, and Clipper Creek just came out with a 42 amp charger for around $700. Really need that since there are no decent DCFS places I frequent and efficiency of IPace isn’t the greatest.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts