Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a lift installed on my 2022 Niro PHEV.
First it needs a 2" trailer hitch installed with all the relevant lights and power taps.
Has anyone done this?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Duncan

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The easy way is to have U-Haul do it. But get the wiring harness from Kia first for a better install.

Relevant threads here are tough to search for but here are two:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The easy way is to have U-Haul do it. But get the wiring harness from Kia first for a better install.

Relevant threads here are tough to search for but here are two:
HUMMmmmmmm Well I wouldn't do it. Your are dealing with un-sprung weight . (meaning There is no way to support the weight over bumps or dips in the road). The lift will weigh about 200 lbs. for a electric lift and the scooter will weight at least 175 lbs. The hitch will weigh about 75 LBS. All that weight has to sit behind the springs and suspension. The car won't hold that weight and the hitch will soon break or bend the rear of the car. At best it will hang at least 5 inches behind the back bumper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HUMMmmmmmm Well I wouldn't do it. Your are dealing with un-sprung weight . (meaning There is no way to support the weight over bumps or dips in the road). The lift will weigh about 200 lbs. for a electric lift and the scooter will weight at least 175 lbs. The hitch will weigh about 75 LBS. All that weight has to sit behind the springs and suspension. The car won't hold that weight and the hitch will soon break or bend the rear of the car. At best it will hang at least 5 inches behind the back bumper.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I wasn’t thinking about the load so much as If hoist would be to hard on the electrical.
But now I think of how it bounced around on my Explorer may have to stick with my walker for now.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV EX Deep Cerulean Blue
163 Posts
Sprung weight right? Cure is installing higher rate rate springs.
Beefier springs do not address having 350-400 pounds of weight behind the rear axle. Would think that this would raise the front end of the vehicle and adversely affect traction and maneuverability.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Beefier springs do not address having 350-400 pounds of weight behind the rear axle. Would think that this would raise the front end of the vehicle and adversely affect traction and maneuverability.
There is no other way to address extra weight (although in addition to higher rate springs, additional damping is best) and that is what would be the intervention of choice for any vehicle carrying a scooter (or motorcycle or bicycles, tool box, et cetera). Yes, every change to weight distribution changes handling. To which the driver can adjust. This is not a sports car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Absolutely true, I had Uhaul put a 2 " receiver on my 2017 ex but no way would I ever put a lift on it , I have A fold up carrier for it and I use Pride 10 Scooter, but because I don't need it all the time I store the carrier in my garage , for long trips I just fold down the back seat and put it inside , and still have room for luggage, safe and dry inside, oh by the way it doesn't even affect my mpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Absolutely true, I had Uhaul put a 2 " receiver on my 2017 ex but no way would I ever put a lift on it , I have A fold up carrier for it and I use Pride 10 Scooter, but because I don't need it all the time I store the carrier in my garage , for long trips I just fold down the back seat and put it inside , and still have room for luggage, safe and dry inside, oh by the way it doesn't even affect my mpg
I think mine is 10 also. I will see how it fits.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Yes, inside is always best for mpg and simply better for stuff. A major reason I purchased the Niro is that I could put a bicycle inside upright with no disassembly and still have room to sleep inside. Putting it outside on a rack exposes it to the elements and possible theft or vandalism.

That said, while that suits me, it may not suit everyone. Scooters for the differently abled may best suit their owners needs by being more accessible stored behind the vehicle. I have no doubt that you can modify most cars appropriately and safely to meet such a need, including the Niro. A Smart car, well, that is an outlier for sure! Might tip over so suspension modifications wouldn't help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts