Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends! I am from Russia and apologize for my bad english! Google translator helps me in communication. I have a question for the respected community of owners of this beautiful car: only one tire size is indicated for my car - this is 215/55 / R17. Is it possible to replace with a smaller size or not? I know this is possible on Niro hybrids, but on our electric version is it possible? Thank you in advance for your reply and once again I apologize for my mistakes in English

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,749 Posts
I see no mistakes in your English, so good job!

The overall important thing is the overall diameter of the tire must remain as close to the same as possible. So a smaller wheel can be used, as long as the tire has a taller profile and the overall height remains the same. It doesn't matter if it's the EV or a hybrid, the same rule applies. And you especially want both tires on the same axle to be the same size. But it sounds like you want all four to be the same, which is the smart thing to do.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
194 Posts
Hello friends! I am from Russia and apologize for my bad english! Google translator helps me in communication. I have a question for the respected community of owners of this beautiful car: only one tire size is indicated for my car - this is 215/55 / R17. Is it possible to replace with a smaller size or not? I know this is possible on Niro hybrids, but on our electric version is it possible? Thank you in advance for your reply and once again I apologize for my mistakes in English
The different size tires may cause handling and comfort problems. I always go with OEM size, which mines is 205/60/16

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see no mistakes in your English, so good job!

The overall important thing is the overall diameter of the tire must remain as close to the same as possible. So a smaller wheel can be used, as long as the tire has a taller profile and the overall height remains the same. It doesn't matter if it's the EV or a hybrid, the same rule applies. And you especially want both tires on the same axle to be the same size. But it sounds like you want all four to be the same, which is the smart thing to do.
Thank you very much for your reply! What are the alternative tire sizes for our E-Niro? I am interested in R16, I want the steel to be more comfortable and softer. I understand that the width of the tire in this case will decrease, and the profile will increase. Will the behavior of our car be impaired by the narrowing of the tire profile? And I cannot understand why the manufacturer did not leave us a choice of alternative tire sizes ?? And I indicated only one size for the E-Niro. I apologize for possibly my stupid questions, but I'm a beginner and this is my first electric car in my life ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Я всегда использую размер OEM
Thanks for your reply. I try too, but I am confused by the presence of only one type of tire size on the plate in the car. Technically, there will be no difficulties when changing tires?

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply! What are the alternative tire sizes for our E-Niro? I am interested in R16, I want the steel to be more comfortable and softer. I understand that the width of the tire in this case will decrease, and the profile will increase. Will the behavior of our car be impaired by the narrowing of the tire profile? And I cannot understand why the manufacturer did not leave us a choice of alternative tire sizes ?? And I indicated only one size for the E-Niro. I apologize for possibly my stupid questions, but I'm a beginner and this is my first electric car in my life ..
Markjosh quoted his tire size, so that's a likely fit for your car as well. You notice is is a 60 profile, while yours is a 55. That's the difference in the tire sidewall height, and his 16" wheel/tire combo is likely the same overall height as your 17" combo. Moving from a 55 to 60 profile tire would likely make the car ride a bit smoother, but you also might notice the steering response being ever so slightly slower. That's because the taller sidewall has more flex, and it takes a hair more turning input to make the tire turn. A simplistic answer, without getting technical. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Но похоже, что вы хотите, чтобы все четыре были одинаковыми, и это разумный поступок.
Yes, I definitely want to replace all 4 tires. You understood me correctly.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I try too, but I am confused by the presence of only one type of tire size on the plate in the car. Technically, there will be no difficulties when changing tires?
There's no difference in the Niro body for the EV and the hybrids, so a tire/wheel combo that works on one will work for all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Вы замечаете, что это профиль 60, а ваш - 55. Это разница в высоте боковины шины, и его комбинация колесо / шина 16 дюймов, вероятно, такая же общая высота, как и ваша комбинация 17 дюймов. Переход с шины с профилем 55 на профиль 60, вероятно, сделает поездку более плавной, но вы также можете заметить, что реакция рулевого управления становится немного медленнее. Это потому, что более высокая боковина имеет большую гибкость, и для поворота шины требуется немного больше усилий. Упрощенный ответ, не вдаваясь в технические подробности.
Thank you very much for your reply! In the near future I will try to make a replacement, I hope that I will not have any technical difficulties. And all the inner parts of the wheels will be in harmony with the new tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Нет никакой разницы в корпусе Niro для электромобиля и гибридов, поэтому комбинация шины / колеса, которая работает на одном, будет работать для всех.
Is this absolutely accurate information? I am confused by the only wheel size specified by the manufacturer for our E-Niro .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once again, I thank everyone who answered me and I apologize for making you waste your time on my questions. There are still translations and an understanding of the menu functions of this beautiful car ahead of me. The problem is that I don't even have an English-language manual for my car.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Is this absolutely accurate information? I am confused by the only wheel size specified by the manufacturer for our E-Niro .
@atc98092 is correct. While there are different wheel and tire combinations depending on the model, any factory combination should fit on any Niro. Here in the United States we have at least 3 different wheel and tire combinations available on the Niro:
1. 205/60R16 Most Niro models (25.7 inch / 65 cm diameter)
2. 225/45R18 Touring Model Hybrids and PHEVs (26 inch / 66 cm diameter)
3. 255/55R17 Niro EVs (28 inch / 71 cm diameter)

Any of those should fit your car fine. However, your speedometer and odometer will be incorrect if you go to a smaller tire size.

Here's a link to the English version of the manual for the Niro EV if that helps you at all:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@atc98092 is correct. While there are different wheel and tire combinations depending on the model, any factory combination should fit on any Niro. Here in the United States we have at least 3 different wheel and tire combinations available on the Niro:

Any of those should fit your car fine. However, your speedometer and odometer will be incorrect if you go to a smaller tire size.

Here's a link to the English version of the manual for the Niro EV if that helps you at all:
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer! You have calmed me down. I will try a different tire size. And a special thank you for the instruction - now I can dive into the study of the features of this beautiful car!

·
Registered
6 Posts

I have a 2020 Niro EV with the stock Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires at 26.3" diameter not 28"
see below specs.

SIZE
UTQG
TIRE WEIGHT​
215/55R17
94V SL

Eco:
Green X
1,477 lbs​
44 psi​
9.5/32"​
23 lbs​
6-7.5"​
7"​
8.9"​
7.6"​
26.3"​
791​
US,CA

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
184 Posts
Based on your current size of 215/55-17 the best fit 16" tire would be 235/55-16 which decreases the diameter by 0.1 inch for a change of 0.5%
Tire size 225/60-16 would increase diameter by 0.3 inches for an increase of 1.2%

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Don't forget that over/under inflation will also change the tire diameter ever so slightly. Since we're talking fractions of a percentage here, this alone could make the difference between one and the other. It's simply not a large enough difference to be noticeable with anything but a tape measure. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I want to add that I have two sets of rims - one stock (for winter), the other summer. The quality of the roads in my place leaves much to be desired, so I think that 16' wheels are ideal for such conditions. At the same time, I manage to have a gasoline consumption in the city in the range of 4.4-5.5 l/100 km
and 3.7 - 3.9 l/100 km outside the city. Moreover, and my friend in the same car with 18' wheels on the same road could reach a consumption of only 4.0 l/100 km. Resume - 16' rims highly recommended! :)

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I'm not clear if you are keeping your current rims or not. If you are changing them, rims used on other Niros may not fit. You have an electrically operated parking brake which requires more room.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts