Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed that when I unlock my 2018 Niro PHEV from a distance (say, 30’ away) with the Smart Key button, if I don’t go and physically open the door(s) within a few minutes, the car automatically locks itself again. Perhaps this is a “feature”, but it sure is annoying to unlock the car from inside the house, then feel like I’m on a timer to get to the car before it’s locked. I don’t always want to bring my keys out with me just to grab that water bottle I left in there.

Is there a way to turn this off, so that the unlock button serves to unlock the car and not reverse course after a few minutes?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I’ve noticed that when I unlock my 2018 Niro PHEV from a distance (say, 30’ away) with the Smart Key button, if I don’t go and physically open the door(s) within a few minutes, the car automatically locks itself again. Perhaps this is a “feature”, but it sure is annoying to unlock the car from inside the house, then feel like I’m on a timer to get to the car before it’s locked. I don’t always want to bring my keys out with me just to grab that water bottle I left in there.

Is there a way to turn this off, so that the unlock button serves to unlock the car and not reverse course after a few minutes?
I don't think so. Most if not all of the cars I've owned that have remote locks have this feature. It gets me some times too.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
It’s a feature, not a bug. Let’s say you unlock by accident, or on purpose and forget to get your water bottle, would you be happy to have the car unlocked until you next drive it? But it seems to me if you can pick up the fob to press unlock, easily enough to carry it to car.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I believe that is considered a safety feature. If you unlock it by accident, and perhaps not even knowing, the car locks itself for security. I personally wouldn't want to disable it, but no I don't think there's a setting to do so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts