1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The window sticker that was on my 2020 Niro PHEV Ex Premium clearly lists:

Wireless Phone Charger / 2 Front USB / 2 Rear USB

I cannot find the rear USB ports. I spoke with the salesman at the dealership where I bought the car. He looked at a similar car on the lot and could not locate the ports either. He said her would check with someone and call me back. It has been two days and I have not heard back.
On a similar note the owners manual lists a 110v outlet. Is this an option that has to be specially ordered?

·
Registered
200 Posts
In the 2019 PHEV I have at least 1 in the arm rest box between the front seats. And there is an outlet on the back of it by the rear floorboards.

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only USB ports I have found are the two above the phone charging mat in front of the gear selector. The only thing on the back of the center console is the climate control wheel for the backseat passengers.
Is the outlet you mention by the rear floorboard a 110v outlet?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can't figure out how to imbed photos here, but I took two photos of the back of the center consol and under the vents is the plug. And a photo of the inside of the console for the USB plug. You have to lift the circle cover. Click this link for the photo album USB and Plug photos

·
Super Moderator
588 Posts
@ExJag, i have check for the USA 2020 Ex Premium interior (HEV and PHEV), and threre are 1 USB in front, 1 in the center console and none in the back except the 110v plug in your version.

As i remember, none of all the Niros since 2016 had no usb ports on the back! but has till 2020, a AUX port beside the USB out front.

So, is it a typo on the "windows sticker" ? cant tell you! Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ExJag, i have check for the USA 2020 Ex Premium interior (HEV and PHEV), and threre are 1 USB in front, 1 in the center console and none in the back except the 110v plug in your version.

As i remember, none of all the Niros since 2016 had no usb ports on the back! but has till 2020, a AUX port beside the USB out front.

So, is it a typo on the "windows sticker" ? cant tell you! Hope that helps!

View attachment 6357
Yes, I have the two USB ports above the charging tray as well as the 12v power port.
I have trouble accepting the 'typo' error on the window sticker. I expect to get what the sticker indicates. I am pretty sure the EX that I compared my EX Premium to had USB ports in the back seat area. I know I should have been more diligent checking out the EX Premium but I thought the EX was the base for the EX Premium and certain options such as the larger display and the HK stereo were add-ons to the EX. Hence the moniker EX-Premium.
The rear USB ports are a major convenience to passengers sitting back there. Pretty sure there are consumer laws in the US that are intended to dissuade car makers from making unfounded statements about options included in the price of the car.

The dealer I bought the car from has yet to return my calls or offer any explanation.
Does anyone know if you can order a Niro EX-Premium with the rear USB ports and a 110v outlet?

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
Yes, I have the two USB ports above the charging tray as well as the 12v power port.
I have trouble accepting the 'typo' error on the window sticker. I expect to get what the sticker indicates. I am pretty sure the EX that I compared my EX Premium to had USB ports in the back seat area. I know I should have been more diligent checking out the EX Premium but I thought the EX was the base for the EX Premium and certain options such as the larger display and the HK stereo were add-ons to the EX. Hence the moniker EX-Premium.
The rear USB ports are a major convenience to passengers sitting back there. Pretty sure there are consumer laws in the US that are intended to dissuade car makers from making unfounded statements about options included in the price of the car.

The dealer I bought the car from has yet to return my calls or offer any explanation.
Does anyone know if you can order a Niro EX-Premium with the rear USB ports and a 110v outlet?
My '19 doesn't have rear seat USB ports, but it could be something new for '20. If the Monroney sticker says it's supposed to be there, then they're supposed to be there. Before raising a fuss with the dealer, I'd first go through the manual looking for the description. If the manual doesn't show rear seat ports, then your issue is with KIA USA, not the dealer. If you can get the dealer to assist, that's great. But Kia supplies the window sticker, and is responsible for their accuracy. They are the ones that will have to make amends.

·
Super Moderator
588 Posts
is it possible to show us a picture with your display ? i am very intriged!

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks just like the pic you posted. Are you wanting a pic of the window sticker?

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
I just pulled up a window sticker on a local dealer's web site. It's there under standard features: "Wireless Phone Charger / 2 Front USB / 2 Rear USB"

I couldn't find the sticker for my car (I usually hang on to those) so I searched several dealer sites until I found one. The '19 window sticker doesn't even mention USB ports at all, so there was definitely a change between model years. Now, where are they in the rear seats of a 2020? No idea. Has anyone looked in the fold down armrest in the back seat? Or could they be referring to ports within the front center armrest? My car has one USB port there. Not "really" the back seat, but certainly more accessible than the two directly under the dash.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got my 2020 PHEV Ex Premium and there wasn't any rear USB ports either.

I too was under the impression that there were 2 rear USB ports because I had read it somewhere and I just checked my window sticker and sure enough it's there.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to make a big deal or fuss about this, and I never even checked for it during test drives or when I picked my car up, but it IS on the sticker.

I have no experience with this sort of thing, and had a great experience with the dealer so I wouldn't want them to catch any heat after the fact, but realistically would even be done in a situation like this?

I'll go take a look and see if I can find 2 mysteriously hidden USB ports, but they definitely aren't on the rear of the center console.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
105 Posts
Our 2019 has a 12V outlet in the back of the center console, so I simply bought a USB wall charger to plug in when we need the USB. I actually like this arrangement, because while most cars have USB ports, few have 120 V outlets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For petes sake guys just buy a 6 usb plug in charger at Amazon such as this
Car Charger Adapter, Jelly Comb 6 USB Multi Ports Car Charger, 65W Rapid Car Charger with Smart Identification for Cell Phones, Tablets and Other USB Devices for 19.99 problem solved!

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Znrh, you missed the point. Yes, I can come up with work arounds. What causes me dismay is that neither KIA or the dealer even respond to the issue.
I love my car but for what we pay for these cars you might expect a higher level of customer care.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I was curious so I went to my local Kia dealer's website and grabbed the window sticker for a 2020 Niro EX Premium (neat feature that I haven't seen elsewhere). At least this one doesn't list any rear USB port it just lists Wireless Phone Charger by itself. Can you post a picture of yours? I'm really curious as I would have thought they were printed by the factory and that they would all be the same for a given model / trim.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
Jim, that's the HEV version. When I did the same with a PHEV EX Premium, it lists USB ports for front and rear seats.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Jim, that's the HEV version. When I did the same with a PHEV EX Premium, it lists USB ports for front and rear seats.
Dan, can you post that sticker? I just checked a 2020 PHEV EX Premium at my local dealer, and they don't list anything for USB ports. If Kia said the 2020 USA EX Premium had this, I think they might have made a mistake.

Znrh, you missed the point. Yes, I can come up with work arounds. What causes me dismay is that neither KIA or the dealer even respond to the issue.
I love my car but for what we pay for these cars you might expect a higher level of customer care.
ExJag, if you still have your window sticker, probably your best bet is to insist that Kia provide you with a workaround like Znrh mentioned. The rear 120v AC outlet should have more than enough power to run a USB adapter, and it will probably work better than the factory charger in the front armrest. Buy the device you want and send the bill to the dealer, along with a photocopy of your window sticker. You might not ever get satisfaction, or you might get satisfaction eventually, but in the meantime, you have what you want and you're not stressing about the Kia dealer's reluctance to make good on what they advertised.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Using a regular USB adaptor in the "cigarette" lighter up front will charge dandy (that's what I use to charge my laptop on trips, preserving the data port for my phone). Kind of trivial for this application, but the AC outlet uses an inverter to convert 12 volts to 120 AC. So now using an AC to DC inverter to go back to 12 volts wastes a lot of energy to heat in double conversions. DC/DC conversion is way more efficient. You try not to do that in an RV, but some don't get it. Like I said, trivial here, but every little bit counts if you are trying to conserve range, especially in a PHEV or BEV. If you want an auxiliary cabin fan for example, better to get a DC one than an AC one.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
Dan, can you post that sticker? I just checked a 2020 PHEV EX Premium at my local dealer, and they don't list anything for USB ports. If Kia said the 2020 USA EX Premium had this, I think they might have made a mistake.
Here's a link to one from the KIA.com web site. https://www.kia.com/us/services/en/windowsticker/load/KNDCC3LD8L5400576
The last line under INTERIOR, COMFORT & CONVENIENCE

Looking at the KIA USA web site, under features it doesn't provide that much detail. It only says USB power outlet, without stating location. It seems the window sticker is the only place they state it. That that sticker above is a US version.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts