Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Using a regular USB adaptor in the "cigarette" lighter up front will charge dandy (that's what I use to charge my laptop on trips, preserving the data port for my phone). Kind of trivial for this application, but the AC outlet uses an inverter to convert 12 volts to 120 AC. So now using an AC to DC inverter to go back to 12 volts wastes a lot of energy to heat in double conversions. DC/DC conversion is way more efficient. You try not to do that in an RV, but some don't get it. Like I said, trivial here, but every little bit counts if you are trying to conserve range, especially in a PHEV or BEV. If you want an auxiliary cabin fan for example, better to get a DC one than an AC one.
I agree, but sometimes personal sanity trumps economics and efficiency. If you want to charge your own phone in the front, and you've got passengers in the back wanting to use USB power, an adapter plugged into the 120V system might be a really good solution. Frankly, that 120V outlet is mostly about eye-candy to get people to buy the higher trim package. I could run an electric shaver on it, but I don't think I could run even a crock pot, so what's the point of it?

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry about the pic being upside down. Not sure how that happened or how to correct it.
Even though it is inverted you can clearly read the last line under Interior Comfort & Convenience
"Wireless Phone Charger / 2 Front USB / 2 Rear USB"

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
241 Posts
This is not an answer that will satisfy some of us.

Often with car stickers and descriptions especially when they are imported vehicles to the US, will have some logic jumps to bridge the gaps in information.

A key element in the description for my understanding is they describe the front as having two USB ports on the sticker. This leads me to believe the description would then refer to any port except the front two as rear ports ex; ports in the arm rest box etc.

Remember these vehicles come from Korea which may have a different understanding of the meaning rear.

I worked for a foreign auto manufacturer here in the US. Cars we made for export had different standards for different items. Just as an example the quality of a paint job on a car that was shipped to Japan had a much more rigorous inspection as the Japaneses customer would not tolerate any paint imperfections at all. The cars shipped to Saudi Arabia had an entirely different inspection line and window sticker than others. These type situations are ripe for misinterpretations and expectations.

Always best to confirm by pictures or actual viewing of the vehicle your expectations vs the manufacturers descriptions. Through no ones fault there may be a difference of interpretation of certain features.

As I said above this answer is not one that is going to satisfy some of us.

·
Registered
756 Posts
That is still the HEV window sticker, not the PHEV.
Link shows a PHEV for me. And yep, it definitely says 2 Rear USB Ports. Weird. I wonder if they are available in some other region and got included on the US window sticker by mistake. Or, there really are 2 USB ports back there somewhere just waiting to be found. :cool:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Thanks for posting that, not that I or anyone else doubted you :). Along with the link @atc98092 posted it's clear this is a Kia corporate mistake, not a misprint at the dealership.

Unless they are hiding under the seats somewhere I think it's safe to say it's just a misprint. I doubt that you'll ever get an answer beyond that. Even if they exist somewhere else if they aren't available in the US there's no way you'll get Kia to install them for you. You could in theory take Kia to court as it turns out the Monroney sticker* is mandated by federal law here in the US. In a similar case John Park sued Ford over an incorrect sticker stating his new Ranger came with an anti-theft system. Long story short, Ford admitted the sticker was wrong and offered anyone affected a free oil change and $200 towards an aftermarket alarm system. I can't find out how the case ended but there seems to be precedent for the argument that the sticker represents an enforceable contract at some level.

The question is how much is it worth to you? I suspect that like Ford, Kia will at best offer you a free oil change or a plug in USB charger. Park had to take his case all the way to the Rhode Island Supreme Court just to survive Ford's motion to dismiss and I'll bet he spent way more than $200 on that.

If you like the car otherwise you might just have to live with it. :(

*How did we live before the Internet? It took me less than 30 seconds to find all that information including the court decision. 20 years ago it would have been effectively impossible. It really is amazing when you stop and think about it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Clearly I did a very bad job reading it. I also missed the USB!
Don't feel too bad, I missed that the OP was talking about the PHEV when I posted the window sticker for the HEV. Clearly I have some reading comprehension issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too was looking for the USB ports. I have a 2018 Touring with Tech package. Lease is up soon and figured i would go with hybrid PHEV EX. Window sticker does say 2 rear. But unlike my 2018 which has one in the console and one AC behind console. They seem to have eliminated those. Looked in manual. Dealer and I both couldn't find and they say maybe a factory misprint. If you google it that misprint seems to have been around for awhile. But why eliminate something like that on the top of line models? And for rear seat passenger. I use it for work to charge a tablet. Console one eventually would break the wire. I don't want to add a USB hub. Eliminating the console one actually freed up a little space in it. Also why couldn't they include Homelink?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts