Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just got a 2020 Niro EV and have noticed a whining sound that seems to be coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. It's not the clunking sound that some have reported with the 710 motor, although I do have the 710 motor (June, 2020 build date) still. I think this is different. The sound crescendos downwards and peaks when slowing down at around 40 MPH and then, almost like a switch, completely disappears below 35 MPH. When this is happening, I am completely coasting (0 regeneration), foot off throttle. If I slightly apply the throttle, the sound disappears immediately. If I use brake regen, the sound will lessen but not entirely disappear. At first I thought it was gear backlash, perhaps in the transmission or differential, but it sounds more electrical in nature -- more like an electric motor whining sound. While I certainly expect some electric motor noise, I feel this is too much. It interferes with music being played and makes the vehicle a lot less enjoyable to drive at these speeds. Perhaps some more sound deadening can be applied to soften the sound and move it more to the background? Not sure where I could apply it as it seems to be coming from the engine compartment.

I do plan on test driving another new Niro on the lot to see if the sound is present on another one before taking it to a dealership. I just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Resonant frequencies. That is why it changes when you change the load on the motor by increasing regen. I don't think sound proofing will be effective, but changing the structure to be stiffer will lower the resonant frequency (which is generally perceived as less noisy and softer). Look at how the motor is mounted and see if you can add bracing. Alternatively, sometimes you can add cushioning to reduce transmission of the annoying frequency, which also sometimes will change the frequency. I don't know if either of these is possible but worth looking at. Possibly even suspension bracing like is done to improve cornering will change how that frequency is amplified.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts