Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 kia niro lx
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia niro LX was supposed to be rated to pull 1300 kgs with a towing kit, what happened?
From a kia press release:
EUROPEAN DEBUT FOR NEW KIA NIRO HYBRID CROSSOVER
Published | 17/02/2016
"From Q4 2016, the new Niro will be available with optional towing functionality – rare amongst cars in the hybrid class – allowing owners to tow braked loads of up to 1,300 kg."

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Yup. But as far as I know, no cars with the towing package were delivered to any country.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
There is always a reason. Could be marketing, could be engineering, could be demand, could be cost. Always lots of unanswered questions from manufacturers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ah,but wait... apparently some are towing with their Niros -- at least with the pure EV model - & doing just fine:
I am pulling a 3200lb hi-lo popup with my 2019 niro HEV...
While the BEV has the frame, basic suspension, transmission are the same as the HEV I think that the BEV has more immediate torque which may make a significant difference.

·
Super Moderator
576 Posts
First, The BEV does not have the same trasmission than the dual clutch the HEV and PHEV has.

Second, since Kia Europe says that it can pull a 2600 pounds trailer, Europe is not the same size and distance than the USA and CANADA so they do not want people to carry the same 2600 pound trailer or camper from Buffalo to California!

·
Registered
332 Posts
<< The BEV does not have the same trasmission than the dual clutch the HEV and PHEV has. >>
I stand corrected

Reactions: Cargilb

·
Registered
2019 kia niro lx
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Umm, I tow with mine. It does very well with a small load, but without a real brake system, I wouldn't tow a 21 foot bass boat.
Your LX?
I was wondering if it could tow under a load greater than or equal to 1100 lbs.

·
Registered
2019 kia niro lx
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One would be driving at Regular speeds, maybe a few mph slower.
Uphill? Sometimes. That would depend on the trip.
I don't think the tow would be greater than 1100 lbs. I overestimated the weight on purpose. The tow would be more like 800-900, not including weight of the passenger(s) in the hybrid itself.

·
Registered
2019 kia niro lx
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
One would be driving at Regular speeds, maybe a few mph slower.
Uphill? Sometimes. That would depend on the trip. The distances would be long.
I don't think the tow would be greater than 1100 lbs. I overestimated the weight on purpose. The tow would be more like 800-900, not including weight of the passenger(s) in the hybrid itself.
This is all in the planning stages. I haven't tried it yet. I may never do it, depending on what information i get about towing from kia.

·
Super Moderator
576 Posts
The BEV also has bigger brake rotors than the HEV or PHEV. Might be a reason why it has a slightly higher rating in Europe.
The tow rates in europe are for all 3 models! not juste the BEV! (strange!!!) :oops:

Reactions: Cargilb

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
It all boils down to what the legal department says. If they're worried about liability with towing in a particular area, they'll limit or ban towing in that location. Rarely has anything to do with the car itself. Since people in the US tend to tow larger, heavier items, for longer distances, legal says we can't do it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
As far as I know, there were no 2017 or 2018 Euro models that were tow rated. There was marketing to the effect that there was an optional tow package, but zero reports of such delivered cars. One would imagine a tow package would have better brakes and cooling. Obviously a more powerful engine would be practical. Not so many people who want to tow shop for for low powered hybrids. Do you think people are still fooled by 140 mph speedometers on economy cars?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts