Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have level 2 charger installed in my garage. Will the car be capable of charging at a rate greater than level 2 in the future?

·
Registered
4 Posts
No. There is no l3 dc charging capability and l2 charging is limited to 16A.
Rifeman did not say what model car he has. The pure EV models are now available with high capacity DC charge connections. That said a level 3 DC charger cost is $ 10,000 and up and will almost certainly cost considerably more to get an electrician to wire the heavy gauge wire out to a connection point. That high cost is why many stations charge you for use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rifeman did not say what model car he has. The pure EV models are now available with high capacity DC charge connections. That said a level 3 DC charger cost is $ 10,000 and up and will almost certainly cost considerably more to get an electrician to wire the heavy gauge wire out to a connection point. That high cost is why many stations charge you for use.
and I should have mentioned the input voltage to the L3 DC chargers is 480 to 600V
most homes and many businesses do not have anything higher that 220V so you need a step up transformer.
you really have to need the fast charger bad to anti up so much

·
Registered
5 Posts
here is a link that demonstrates some costs.
I would take issue with the entry in the table that the transformer is to be installed my your utility.
A simple 220 to to 480 transformer should be less than $ 1000.
BUT this presumes that you input to your home is on the high end. Certainly an older home with only
60 amp input is going to need a major upgrade

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
and l2 charging is limited to 16A.
Mine is a 30A installed on a 50A breaker.

@BrentR , in your signature, whitch model are you waiting for ? (HEV, PHEV, EV ?)

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no way to increase the charging ability of the PHEV Niro. The charger itself is contained in the car. The wall unit (EVSE) is not a charger, but only supplies the AC current up to the limit of the car's charger. I can plug into my daughter's EVSE, which is a 40 amp (8 kW) Juicebox, but it won't charge my car any faster than the 16 amp (3.3 kW) EVSE I have in my garage.

Perhaps it might help to clarify the terms.
  • Level 1 applies (in North America) to a 110vac EVSE, most likely no more than about 12 amps. Any reasonably modern home (built in the last 40 years or so) will have at least 15 amp breakers and wiring per circuit.
  • Level 2 is for 220vac EVSEs, and their rated power ranges from 16-75 amps. Naturally, the higher the current the larger wiring necessary to feed it, and also (in general) requires a dedicated power feed from the breaker panel
  • Level 3 actually doesn't exist. There was discussion for L3, but it was never certified.
  • DCFC (Direct Current Fast Charger) is the systems you can find in parking lots and other dedicated locations. Tesla Superchargers are DCFC. These truly are chargers which bypass the car's internal charger and feed the battery directly with high current DC. These typically start at 50 kW, with the maximum currently deployed reaching 350 kW.
Note that (to my knowledge) there are no PHEVs that support DCFC, and some earlier EVs do not support it either (it was either an additional cost option or just not available). For cars that do support DCFC, there are still limits on the amount of current they can handle. So connecting a Niro EV or an e-Golf to a 250kW DCFC won't charge the car any faster than a 50 kW unit. But the Audi e-tron can handle (I believe) 250 kW, while the Porsche Taycan will support 350 kW. I also believe some of the latest Teslas can now also support 250 kW or more at select Supercharger stations.

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
That's rather surprising for such a small battery. It's only 12 kWh. But it still takes 20 minutes for an 80% charge, so it's sure not charging at a very high rate. Almost not worth the effort. :) And, it's CHAdeMO. I also see the L2 charger is only 3.3 kW, the same as our Niros. Amazing they bothered with DCFC at all.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's rather surprising for such a small battery. It's only 12 kWh. But it still takes 20 minutes for an 80% charge, so it's sure not charging at a very high rate. Almost not worth the effort. :) And, it's CHAdeMO. I also see the L2 charger is only 3.3 kW, the same as our Niros. Amazing they bothered with DCFC at all.
It is pretty worthless in my opinion. A 20min session on an EVGo DCFC is like $7 at 0.35c/minute (Tennessee price). 20 min for 80% charge is 17.6 miles. So $7 for 17.6 miles of range?? Lol nope.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts