Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Niro EX-Special. Last week I noticed the black weatherstripping on the back passenger door window (it is on the frame) was coming loose. This week it flew off (so now there is just the chrome). My question .. does anyone know if that black covering was for cosmetic purposes, or if it actually was serving some useful purpose (like a form of weatherstripping). I am tending to think it was just cosmetic. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's definitely a useful part. I lost weather stripping from my previous car and decided not to install a new one. After a few weeks, I noticed scratches in that area and some paint cracks. Also, I could feel the wind blowing from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are you talking about the tape that covers the chrome or the actual weatherstripping that's on the inside? The tape on the chrome is supposed to come off, but the weatherstripping shouldn't come off. My daughter's Hyundai had 2 doors where it wasn't attached right. So it does happen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When Kia ships the Niro from Korea there is black tape placed over the Chrome around the windows. A lot of dealers forget to take it off. I think that is what you are talking about. It is almost like thin electrical tape. It is supposed to come off when they prep the car for the lot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I was referring to the black tape. Again, I wasn't sure if this was a cosmetic thing (protection) or if it was providing some useful function. True, not glued on very well (it is off now on that door frame). The actually weatherstripping inside the car is fine .. sorry about the confusion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts