Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Winter has come early to the PNW and I am noticing the need to heat the car a bunch more. This seems to have a very significant effect on my mileage (to the tune of around 10 mpg on average). I usually get around 49MPG over the course of one tank and now am hovering around 40mpg. Should it be this low it seems crazy...anybody else getting these results?

Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
While it hasn?t been that cold yet here in the northeast, I have noticed on the colder days the gas engine will kick in and mostly stay on for a while at the beginning of drives. I?d speculate that?s to warm it up to be able to get heat for the passenger cabin.

Do you tend to do short drives (10 min?). If so I could certainly see it having a meaningful impact. I?ll see how it goes in the northeast when the temps head down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In the winter the fuel is different. I believe they change blends around September or October. They do stuff to help with emissions which I believe lowers the amount of energy stored in the fuel. What is the Difference between Summer- and Winter-Blend Gasoline? | AAA NewsRoom

The cold also makes a difference. Your tire pressure will drop causing more contact with the road causing lower mileage. I think it is 1psi per 10 degree drop or something like that.

Materials also tend to contract as they get colder so things tighten up causing a little more friction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
More detail

The engine takes longer to warm up and stays in open loop longer as sensors such as the o2 sensors have to get up to temp. If you look at a temp gage in a car in the summer it is almost instantly at running temperature. If you look at it in the winter it can take a bit to get up to temperature. I don't have a lot of experience with the niro yet but I suspect all of this information holds true.

In my old honda civic hybrid I would go from 55mpg down to about 45mpg in the winter. I will have to see how the niro reacts.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good point on the tire pressure. While it would not account for most of the difference, if the temp plunge left your tires low, it would help a little.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Up in NW Washington, I noticed the drop. Was getting around 48 mpg. Today, at 31 degrees, it fell to 45. Hope I'm not getting off subject too far here (we are talking mileage, aren't we?) will I do much better on enthanol-free gas? I don't drive that much but on the Indian reservation (or should I be saying the Native American reservation) between home and town, for a few cents more, I can get ethanol-free gas in 87 (or, perhaps, 89 octane).

·
Registered
50 Posts
On my Prius (Last two) between the cold and snow tires I typically lost about 3-4 miles per gallon, the biggest hit was using the heat. My plug-in was wonderful if I could avoid the starting the engine and just using the heated seats.

I'm curious how the Niro does. I do love the heated seats already

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was regularly getting 54-55 MPG in my LX, until the latest colder snap the last 2 weeks with the weather in the 30-40's in Chicagoland. Now I am struggling to get 46MPG, more regulated to the 44-45 range. Maybe I will drive without any heat until it gets really cold and see if that affects anything.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you want heat in the cabin, the engine has to run just to support the heat. This really kills around-town mileage in a hybrid. Also, if you have to park outside, the cold temps suck the energy right out of the battery. That has to be replaced, usually by the engine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think that cold temps can lower mileage that significantly. Though in the winter time engine uses more power for heating, I can't believe that this is the reason too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Another thing not mentioned is that you may be using your headlights more, in summer there are 14 hours of daylight but at this time of year there are only 10 so you may be driving more during times when the lights need to be on. There are a ton of things conspiring to kill milage in the winter. Each on their own may not be a huge hit but when you put them all together it can hurt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Filled the tank today with 87 octane enthanol-free gas. The mpg mesure showed as high at 78 mpg for a bit. Drove to town and back (36 miles) and the lowest reading it showed was 55.6 mpg and it looked like the tank was still showing full. Obviously, I don't understand this whole mpg read-out. I'll see how many gallons I used to cover the miles sense filling the tank again. Oh, and the dealer promised free car washes and oil changes for so long as I own the Niro. I took it to the shop and told them I'd come for my free wash. They quickly obliged me and soon returned the car looking like new. Even vacuumed front and back and thanked me for bringing it in. I had expected they would at least try to sell me something while I was there. I'm beginning to like these guys.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hope this is not going to far off subject. Up till it started cooling off my average mpg has been 53 over 9,000 miles. I got the big drop in mileage when the out side temp went down to the mid 20's and now I'm at 40 mpg measured. I think I see one big problem, I have to drive 5 miles before the engine Temp starts to come up. And it's already 60 degrees when I put out of the garage. And just driving around town it cools back off to nothing on the gauge, so I think the engine is running cold all the time and running very rich on the gas. I called the dealer and got the long list as to why the low mileage, and he said if the engine was running cold I would get the check engine light. Well, just maybe the check engine light is not working? I have the 10K oil chance coming up in a week or so and will make them check it out. After working on car's, truck's and tractors for 60 years or so, I think the thermostat is open. This is traveling the same pattern and mileage every day. Sure like the car though..

·
Registered
125 Posts
My Touring had been averaging around 47 MPG since I got it in May. Now this last tank is at 41 MPG since the cold weather hit. Not pleased at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes I can confirm this. I was in the 50s MPG until the temperature dropped to the 30s/40s, now im getting the low to mid 40 MPG. I have had a Prius for years and this has never been an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are these mileage readings real

I’m new to the forum and topic . . .

My first question is are the folks on this thread
Are you reporting Kia mileage (what the computer states)
Or
Are you reporting mileage the old fashion way by tracking at fill ups

Why I ask is I have never seen this level of mileage ever and I have tracked it the old fashion way.

To be honest the Kia computer method seems to report mine at 2 mpg higher most of the time.

I’ll post my mileage tracker later.

Oh, and definitely I see a drop in mileage since the weather turned colder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I go by the computer because after checking it a couple of times by the fill up method they were pretty close and yes I have seen a significant drop in MPG that has closely tracked the drop in temps. I have dropped from low 50’s to low 40’s since I purchased the car in mid September. I did replace the OEM tires with some Goodyear snow and ice tires so that might account for some of the drop but it has continued down since that change.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Tires can make a huge difference. Went from 44 to 40 on my Fusion switching from Michelin Ecos to Goodyear Ecos, you went to a non-eco tire, I'd bet you are giving up more than 5 mpg.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts