Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Curt hitch and started installing the wiring harness adapter. My question is about the 12 volt power feed. The instructions state to connect to the positive terminal of the battery directly. Well as you probably know, we have no 12 volt battery.

Does anyone know where a 12 volt source would be in the hatch area? There is an unused blue plug back there, any ideas? Is the fuse block a good 12 volt source? I'd hate to tap ointo the 275 volt system by accident... Talk about sparks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
You do have a 12-v battery. It's just not pb-acid. You'll have to fork over $19 to the Kia Service Website for 3 days of access to the electrical schematics to find something to tap into. Alternately, you could measure for voltage at the connector you found. If it goes hot when the lights go on, you're golden. The high-voltage lines are orange. Stay clear of any orange wires.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up getting a add-a-circuit. It taps into the fuse block. I used the taillight circuit. Fishing the wire through the engine bay and back to the under floor area in the hatch was a bear. You need tiny Korean hands!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts