Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not Niro specific but thought you guys may have an opinion...

A few weeks ago a rock hit my windshield and made a pretty good cracking sound, the actual crack isn’t too bad though - a couple small chips and small cracks about an inch long (picture attached - that’s a quarter for reference).

I’m debating whether it’s worth spending ~$100+ to get it treated to avoid spreading later on. I do hope to have the car another decade and if there’s a risk of becoming a bigger issue I’m fine being proactive.

Or should I just let it go for now and keep an eye on it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
I would be surprised if your auto insurance wouldnt cover that cost. i know that a small chip expand quite rapidly, so you are playing with fire if you don't get them fixed. if it is actually cracking lines going out, then it might be too late as a chip can be fixed, but an actual crack is a break in the intergrity of the glass.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked my insurance. It would be subject to the $500 comprehensive deductible which is more than the cost of the repair so I’d just pay out of pocket.

So that’s one vote to fix it now I see... others agree? Disagree?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I asked my insurance. It would be subject to the $500 comprehensive deductible which is more than the cost of the repair so I’d just pay out of pocket.

So that’s one vote to fix it now I see... others agree? Disagree?
I'd fix it as soon as you can. That crack will most likely spread and once it hits an edge you can't repair it.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
If this is the Niro, it is Niro specific. A new OEM windshield runs $700 (you can get cheaper without the sound proofing) and if the cameras need recalibrating after replacement that is about another $1,500! Your money.

I would also pay the experts to do it. They have to remove the stress risers before sealing it. $100 sounds high, but again it is your money and that is better than the alternative. Your insurance is not going to cover camera recalibration.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd run to have it repaired while it is possible...

last summer I had an impact on windscreen, by the time i went to the apointment to have it repaired the crack was spread across the windshield and they had to change it.

The crack progresses fast with temperature changes.
so if you wait too much the cost will be multiplied by at least 10...

your choice

·
Registered
394 Posts
When it's a perfectly circular "bulls-eye" kind of chip, it might be stable indefinitely, or not. But yours has tendrils and that kind almost always travels into something that's too big to repair. My understanding is that if you repair it before it gets bigger, you can save yourself a lot of grief. I would have it repaired soon, and avoid subjecting the car to unnecessary vibrations in the meantime (avoid dirt roads, pot holes, or anything else that might make it travel into a larger crack).

These guys repaired my Honda windshield last summer: https://www.safelite.com/about-safelite. The local franchise dispatched a technician to my driveway and he was done in less than half an hour. My cost was $75, due to an arrangement between my insurance company (State Farm) and safelite. My insurance didn't actually pay, but I was led to believe that I was getting a discount (still wondering if maybe I could have gotten the same price without the insurance being involved). 12 years ago the same insurance company paid for the whole thing under the "comprehensive" coverage which has a different deductible (different policy and different car and different era). I don't have an informed opinion on the amazon alternative that jaxterra suggested, but I've seen people who make this kind of repair use some hardware that is going to cost a bit more than the $12 price (I see that hardware on amazon for $121, but I doubt that it should cost that much). So maybe read the Amazon reviews and reach your own conclusion about whether it's a DIY job or a safelite kind of job (or a job for their competition).

·
Registered
76 Posts
as for the "do it yourself" kit, keep in mind that it works like the others, by pushing resin inside the crack... this needs to push the resin strong on a very localised zone that can (even for the pros but they have more experience than a first-timer therefore the controle maybe better on the pressure they apply) lead to a bigger crack not repairable...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Also check if there is a NOVUS repair place by you. NOVUS has been around for a long time although not in all areas. They use an ultraviolet light to cure the resin. Not sure if it's a marketing gimmick or if the ultraviolet light really what makes them different but long time ago I had them fix several windshields and it lasted and you could hardly tell it was cracked.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! I have an appointment with Safelite to come to my home on Sat morning. Just wanted to know if it was really worth it but you’re unanimous that it is. Im fine to spend $125 (after an online coupon 🙂 ) or so if it will prevent bigger issues later.

That includes about a $30 fee for them coming to me but I have a little kid and very busy at work so it’s worth the convenience.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Yup, dentists mostly use bonding agents requiring UV. Every single one. It is possible not to notice the UV wand with all the other things they are putting in your mouth.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well you learn something new everyday LOL. I hate the dentist, but it's true he doesn't tell me much because I don't want to know what he's doing. We have a deal... he doesn't hurt me and I don't hurt him LOL.

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1 for repairing

I'm surprised your insurance company won't pay to repair it. Geico does, at least here in California. If the crack is smaller than a paper dollar, they recommend repairing rather than replacing.

BTW- I am a dentist, and for the record, all our materials are cured using visible blue light, not UV.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Oh didn't know, just assumed it was UV. UV lights also look blue. Perhaps that it is just blue light that is used with windshield adhesives too?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our insurance company used to repair small chips, but we got a chip a few weeks back and we learned they want to replace the windshield. That worries me becaus, well, it has to be perfect, it's a new (well, almost) car. So if your insurance does not cover I'd do the repair or have someone cheap do it. We had no problem with the chip repairs in the past.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here in NYS, comprehensive insurance includes full glass coverage, meaning no deductible if glass breaks. If you have to pay yourself then do it quickly before it spreads. It is my understanding that a small chip in the glass can be repaired almost invisibly and no need to replace the entire windshield. Once it gets bigger, the repair will likely show and may not be repairable at all, requiring complete replacement. Take it to the experts at Safelite or similar in your area. Also, it might be a good idea to increase your comprehensive coverage to include full glass and to reduce the deductible to $250. It should not cost much more to do that and to me it is more valuable than collision insurance because it also covers fire and vandalism and if you hit an animal like a deer. I have never used collision coverage and have only carried it to satisfy the lender, but I have needed to replace the windshield once on almost every car I have owned, at least 5 times, plus I hit a deer once causing $2500 in damage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts