Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for me to get a roof rack for my 45 lb Hobie Cat Kayak. Since my yak is light, I only use it 6-9X / year, and rarely go over 30 miles, I'm inclined to go relatively cheap rather than spend over $200 for an official Kia rack. :sneaky:
There are 4-5 threads on the topic of Niro roof racks but all are 2-3 years old. I'd love to hear what your experiences have been with the racks you purchased - good or bad. Would especially like to hear from those who got cheap ones -- do you have any buyer's remorse?

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
I have some inexpensive ones from Micks Garage in Ireland. They work and as I have never tried the OEM ones I can't say how they work. They are noisy as **** so I'd say get ones that you can take off and put in easily. It does effect the airflow over the car and don't expect if you leave them on to get the same MPG as noise = turbulance = loss of fuel efficency.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd love to hear what your experiences have been with the racks you purchased - good or bad. Would especially like to hear from those who got cheap ones -- do you have any buyer's remorse?
there are many "cheap" after market cross bars but you do have to consider the drag force and reliability over long period of time. it doesn't have to be OEM at $280 [Thule made] but consider the weight capacity and overall quality. you get what you pay but I think you should be able to get one for $100 or little more for a quality crossbar. or you can always look at craigslist for used crossbars. I have seen OEMs and after market ones in fairly cheap price. FYI, OEM is still universal fitting so it will fit on many rail types of the same style.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<< FYI, OEM is still universal fitting so it will fit on many rail types of the same style.>> Good to know, thanks sighland

·
Registered
51 Posts
I purchased these sets of Crossbars for our car and used it.... 2-3 times to carry bunch of snowboard and skis and had 0 issues. This is the 1st time I've ever used a crossbar but it didn't scratch the paint and I was pretty happy with the results

·
Registered
30 Posts
Time for me to get a roof rack for my 45 lb Hobie Cat Kayak. Since my yak is light, I only use it 6-9X / year, and rarely go over 30 miles, I'm inclined to go relatively cheap rather than spend over $200 for an official Kia rack. :sneaky:
There are 4-5 threads on the topic of Niro roof racks but all are 2-3 years old. I'd love to hear what your experiences have been with the racks you purchased - good or bad. Would especially like to hear from those who got cheap ones -- do you have any buyer's remorse?
I just bought Morphorn roof rack bars through Amazon for $59.99 + tax. They fit on very well and I plan on using for Kayak transport. They are a bit noisy in the Niro EV at freeway speed, but I imagine any roof racks would be on the EV. Seems to be easy to put up and take down, and most of the time they will not be on top and it will not be an issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are 4-5 threads on the topic of Niro roof racks but all are 2-3 years old. I'd love to hear what your experiences have been with the racks you purchased - good or bad. Would especially like to hear from those who got cheap ones
Amazon. $69. Works well and looks good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Richard, good point. All of the crossbars create wind noise. Had them on several vehicles and it is not a matter of whether or not they make noise, it is a matter of how much. Like you, we also keep the crossbars off the vehicle, but we have a cartop carrier mounted to them and hanging from a hoist over where the Niro is parked in the garage. When we want to take a long trip with it, we lower it onto the supports and lock it down. I've owned Thule racks before and while they are great products, they are not worth the 4x investment if they only get occasional use (such as in our case). While the $69 unit I purchased does not have the same quality construction as the Thule, it checks all the right boxes for what we need.

·
Registered
20 Posts
atc, agreed. Especially when you have a plugin hybrid where you are trying to max out your range and mileage.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just bought Morphorn roof rack bars through Amazon for $59.99 + tax. They fit on very well and I plan on using for Kayak transport. They are a bit noisy in the Niro EV at freeway speed, but I imagine any roof racks would be on the EV. Seems to be easy to put up and take down, and most of the time they will not be on top and it will not be an issue.
Newfoundland: Appreciate the info. I Iooked for these, the ones I found for the NIro were $115! Did you get a special deal or have I not found the ones you got. I'd appreciate it if you could provide a link.

Or did you get these? https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Baggage-Locking-Crossbars-2015-2017/dp/B072JDKZ8F/ref=psdc_347985011_t2_B07DKF4HSQ . If these it looks like they are for a Sorento, Is there a model for the Niro or does the Sorento model work on the Niro?
@ NEC57 - Same question: does the Sorento & Niro take same racks???
Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Newfoundland: Appreciate the info. I Iooked for these, the ones I found for the NIro were $115! Did you get a special deal or have I not found the ones you got. I'd appreciate it if you could provide a link.

Or did you get these? Amazon.com: Mophorn Roof Rack Cross Bars Baggage Locking Roof Rail Crossbars Luggage Cargo Ladder Bike Load Roof Cross Bars Black (for Kia Sorento, for Kia Sorento 2015-2017 Black): Automotive . If these it looks like they are for a Sorento, Is there a model for the Niro or does the Sorento model work on the Niro?
Thanks!

Same link, yes. I used the technical info and measured my rails before ordering. Seems to work well.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Or did you get these? Amazon.com: Mophorn Roof Rack Cross Bars Baggage Locking Roof Rail Crossbars Luggage Cargo Ladder Bike Load Roof Cross Bars Black (for Kia Sorento, for Kia Sorento 2015-2017 Black): Automotive . If these it looks like they are for a Sorento, Is there a model for the Niro or does the Sorento model work on the Niro?
Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts

Same link, yes. I used the technical info and measured my rails before ordering. Seems to work well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Last year, for my MY '17, I purchased cross bars by Bragan.net (United Kindgom) from BTS Trading. They look (and act, wind-noise-wise) like the Whisper Bars (now owned by Yakima). Once you adjust the fit, they pop on and off in minutes. Makes it easy to NOT leave the bars atop the car when not needed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts