Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I found an even less expensive option for my 9' 7" Hobie Mirage Sport Kayak. Niro w Kayak 2020.jpg
Yak in the back works fine for driving short distances (up to 20 miles so far) to local lakes! I secure it with a rope through the carry handle tied to the passenger seat adjustment bar. Even OK at 60 mph :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad that works for you. Better insure you don't have anything loose in the back of your vehicle that could fall out and cause a hazard on the road!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Better idea if you are looking for a cheap way to safely transport the boat; get a couple of swim noodles at the Dollar Tree, slice them horizontally in half, lay them across your roof and strap the boat on top of them. The boat won't slide off. You'll spend about $2 and the rest of the world will be safe from flying debris. :)

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
226 Posts
I miss fishing also. I like fishing from a kayak sometimes, I use a Sea Eagle 370 inflatable kayak. I do mostly creeks but kayaks opened a whole new world for me as far as fishing goes. I wasn't interested in maintaining a bass boat or other powered boat, the kayak seemed like a great compromise and you get a good upper body workout in a days fishing.

I have to admit I still love packing my lunch and putting on waders or getting out the kayak and spending the whole day fishing.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
MEC57: I done the noodles in the past as you can see in the pic below. Yes, they work great, can even be preferable to a rack because it doesn't slide around! But my problem is that 1st Hobie yak weighed 42 lbs and I was 10 years younger. My upgraded yak now weights 63 lbs and I'm 10 yrs older! So now it is a Herculean effort to get it on top of the car - I just barely do it & one of these times I'm gonna either hurt myself, drop it damaging the the car, or the yak in the process. So for bass fishing adventures to several lakes with 3- 10 miles of my Seattle home, the yak in the back is a reasonable solution. And yes, I'll be careful keep my gear in the car! BTW, the Hobie kayaks are ideal for fishing since much of the maneuvering is done using pedals rather than paddles, keeping hands free for fishing
outback w hobicat L.jpg

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
226 Posts
I googled what a Hobie Kayak was out of curiosity. Very nice kayak. It looks ideal for fishing from and keeping your hands free for casting while peddling, would be prefect for casting toward the shore while slowly moving. If we are in the market for another kayak this would be at the top of my list. I am a little bit jealous of your setup, just thinking of the possibilities makes me want to hit the creeks even more.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That's not a kayak, that's more like a pair of swimming trunks! :)

My Ocean Kayak Trident is 13' 6" long. It wont fit that well in a full sized pick-up truck bed. Seriously thinking about getting a PWC trailer to haul it on because of the difficulty in getting it on the Niro due to its length. Why a PWC trailer and not a kayak trailer...because when you have the word "kayak" retailers automatically add $500 to the price.

PWC trailer $600, Kayak trailer $1100.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I had to guess what PWC meant. PWC makes a lot of sense if you have room to store when not in use. When I goggled it I found prices all over the place.
For short excursions here is a nifty folding one that looks pretty slick.
However there isn't a lot of info and the really low price point makes me wonder about quality. Also no lighting??? I wonder if it is low & small enough that lighting isn't required since the tow vehicle's lights are probably quite visible That said, if it something that is seldom used and not for long highway trips it might fill the bill..

·
Registered
423 Posts
That's for ferrying a boat around at the dock or in your yard. It's not for towing, the handle instead of hitch should be a give-away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone actually gotten THule or Yakima racks to fit a Kia Niro? The ones from kia are insufficient and will not fit standard accessories I am finding. After 2 months of trying the rack dealer is still unable to find a foot to fit this wierd sized kia roof rail. Rhino rack is a poof fit and will slide off. The kia racks are round shape and and too short to be useful too me. I tried to sell them and found they fit no other vehicle. even the similar sized Kia Soul. Why would they do this and not make a rack that uses the same sizing standards for accessories. The rack ends are also junk made of plastic. I would not chance 2 kayaks on a road trip on them. I need the Rhino self boat loader to to fit the racks or I will not be loading any boats at all. Tell me someone out there has a solid rack that fits standard accessories? I am looking for the airblade design that extends out beyond the roof rails.These kia racks are toys

·
Registered
30 Posts
This guy uses a roof rack on his European trips from great Britain using a big brand cargo top. Check out his video on YouTube and you could communicate with him about his experience if you like. His name is Andrew Till /Mr. EV

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Has anyone actually gotten THule or Yakima racks to fit a Kia Niro? After 2 months of trying the rack dealer is still unable to find a foot to fit this wierd sized kia roof rail.
rails on Niro are most common type of rails on newer vehicles. it's universal style you will find on almost all new vehicles in the past few years. close type has been common because of noise reduction. with that note i have the OEM crossbar but it's made by Thule and all the Thule accessories should fit considering KIA accessories are also made by Thule like the bike rack, cargo box and carrier, and etc. I have Yakima cargo box and it's a standard "clamp" on type which is modern style clamps which is easy to secure and place. I don't have any issue clamping on to the cross bar which is thicker than the ones i have for my Lexus which is also OEM and slide-insert type which is unique to Toyo/Lexus.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts