Stutter/Jerk Problem!!! - Kia Niro Forum
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
Exclamation Stutter/Jerk Problem!!!

Hello All,

Following the post from JosephO - I was surprised to find out that someone else in the world (at least one...) has the same problem as I have. Only last week I found out by reading this forum that I'm not the only one that have such a problem.
I bought a new Kia Niro on Jan 2017. Unfortunately form Feb 2017 I am dealing with this issue in front of Kia Israel technicians and the official dealer.
If I had to describe the problem - it would have sound EXACTLY the same as what Mr. JosephO described. I have the exact same issue.
Until a month ago the dealer admitted there's a problem and felt the sutter themselves. They connected a recording device to the car and claim they didn't see a thing on the computer. Their claim was that this is a miss-firing problem and following Kia's instructions their solution was replacing the injectors - which of course didn't solve a thing. The car continues to stutter. Sometime these are heavy stutters.
Now they have started to dismiss the issue and decided to blame it on the road conditions and claim this is how that car behaves naturally...!!! On my last meeting with them they offered me to replace the car on an improved leasing deal - which actually proves they recognize there's a real problem in addition to their previous admision to the problem. The more severe issue, is that according to what JosephO wrote, Kia probably had known about this problem and the Kia representatives didn't share the whole truth and told me that Kia had never seen such an issue. This sounds like someone is hiding the truth.
If they don't find a way to solve this to my satisfaction, I will most likely have no other option but to take it to court.
The public has the right to know about these defects and how the car manufacturer deals with its customers. Make your decisions wisely.
If you have a proposal or can share more about such an issue, please respond.

Thanks,
Oded
mmathras likes this.
Oded BD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oded BD View Post
Hello All,

Following the post from JosephO - I was surprised to find out that someone else in the world (at least one...) has the same problem as I have. Only last week I found out by reading this forum that I'm not the only one that have such a problem.
I bought a new Kia Niro on Jan 2017. Unfortunately form Feb 2017 I am dealing with this issue in front of Kia Israel technicians and the official dealer.
If I had to describe the problem - it would have sound EXACTLY the same as what Mr. JosephO described. I have the exact same issue.
Until a month ago the dealer admitted there's a problem and felt the sutter themselves. They connected a recording device to the car and claim they didn't see a thing on the computer. Their claim was that this is a miss-firing problem and following Kia's instructions their solution was replacing the injectors - which of course didn't solve a thing. The car continues to stutter. Sometime these are heavy stutters.
Now they have started to dismiss the issue and decided to blame it on the road conditions and claim this is how that car behaves naturally...!!! On my last meeting with them they offered me to replace the car on an improved leasing deal - which actually proves they recognize there's a real problem in addition to their previous admision to the problem. The more severe issue, is that according to what JosephO wrote, Kia probably had known about this problem and the Kia representatives didn't share the whole truth and told me that Kia had never seen such an issue. This sounds like someone is hiding the truth.
If they don't find a way to solve this to my satisfaction, I will most likely have no other option but to take it to court.
The public has the right to know about these defects and how the car manufacturer deals with its customers. Make your decisions wisely.
If you have a proposal or can share more about such an issue, please respond.

Thanks,
Oded
If it is true that they knew the problem and deny it than that is truly problematic. It is going to take some time to find out the truth, and the solutions it seems.
bicepeak is offline  
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: East TN Sevier County is Near Knoxville
Posts: 420
Dang - think they could figure out what is going on (has to be a design problem).

I am still doing OK, but there is obvious Stutter / Jerk / Whatever To Call it at something over 6000 miles (mine is just not severe and not too frequent).

I am thinking smart for all of us to call Customer Service (MFG and Not Dealer) to get something on paper about the issue (no matter how little we experience it).
Alex likes this.
PAULRIDES is offline  
post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 09:38 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Belchertown, MA
Posts: 7
Stutter/Jerk Problem!!!

I, too, have had the "stutter" problem on our '17 Niro EX...and our vehicle has now over 6500 miles on the odometer. The shuddering is very obvious when the Niro is right at the junction of coasting and needing a bit of acceleration to maintain speed. It feels just like a misfire (like someone pulled a plug wire on one of the cylinders) except the MPG's don't seem to be affected...as the car still averages over 52 mpg banging around town and mid-to-high 40's mpg on the highway. This jerking occurs in both EV and gas modes which , of course, leads one to believe it is not an engine misfire but perhaps a transmission/power train problem. Maybe the mechanism to provide a smooth transition between gas and EV modes is at fault?

The car has been twice to the dealer for this issue, but because no error codes get thrown by the OBD, they claim nothing can be done to remedy the problem. Supposedly, this complaint was registered by the dealership's repair facility in such a manner that ALL Kia maintenance personnel worldwide can see the problem and share remedies when available.
mmathras is offline  
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 12:34 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
I have been having the same problem since day 1. It took a while to bring it in the first time and they told me it was the dual clutch. Second trip they reset the computer. Third trip they put a "flight recorder" on it and told me it was misfiring. That was 30 days ago and they still don't have a solution. I have nearly 16,000 miles on the car and I have a case open with Consumer Affairs. They have supposedly escalated it and when they called me back they told they were aware of the issue, they have no time frame as to when it will be fixed and that since the car is driveable I have to keep it and keep driving it until they have a solution. The dealer offered to sell me a new one but I don't think they are going to give me full value on the one I have so I will lose all the payments and have to start fresh. It is unbelievable that they basically told me to sit down and shut up until they get around to addressing the problem.

Has anyone used the lemon law to get their vehicle replaced?
DougO is offline  
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULRIDES View Post
I am thinking smart for all of us to call Customer Service (MFG and Not Dealer) to get something on paper about the issue (no matter how little we experience it).
Smartest thing I heard so far which has worked for other communities. Most front line employees just want to get you in and out as fast as possible due to how they're paid or out of pure laziness. Head Office is a slightly different ball game. At the very least dealing with issues on a higher level creates paperwork and another level of accountability for them.
Alex is offline  
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
This sounds like a similar problem I had on my Jetta Hybrid. It would stutter from a stop to start when it seemed to switch from electric to gas. It was the mechatronics unit that controls the gears changing from the hybrid to gas system. VW couldn't figure it out either...
michael3426 is offline  
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael3426 View Post
This sounds like a similar problem I had on my Jetta Hybrid. It would stutter from a stop to start when it seemed to switch from electric to gas. It was the mechatronics unit that controls the gears changing from the hybrid to gas system. VW couldn't figure it out either...
That's what I think is the whole issue here. There's a belt that engages/ the motor and engine(ICE) from the drivetrain. Also you have the DCT, which is an automated clutch. Put those together at low speeds and conditions,and sometimes you get the gear/linkage feel. Some people just can't deal with it well, especially when new and theyre used to an ICE with automatic/torque converter. It's interesting your VW hybrid also had the DCT.
Also interesting this guy was a one post wonder, no follow up. If this was a random misfire issue, that would show up big time and be stored even on the old OBD ll diagnostic.
eddarrah likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
realto is offline  
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by realto View Post
That's what I think is the whole issue here. There's a belt that engages/ the motor and engine(ICE) from the drivetrain. Also you have the DCT, which is an automated clutch. Put those together at low speeds and conditions,and sometimes you get the gear/linkage feel. Some people just can't deal with it well, especially when new and theyre used to an ICE with automatic/torque converter. It's interesting your VW hybrid also had the DCT.
Also interesting this guy was a one post wonder, no follow up. If this was a random misfire issue, that would show up big time and be stored even on the old OBD ll diagnostic.
I've written about this a few times in other threads here, but I can't help but wonder how much of this "jerkiness" is just pure manual transmission, or in this case, DCT, normal behavior since we're NOT dealing with a true "automatic" transmission here. God, of all the standard/manual transmissions we've driven over the years, most of the time they were smooth, then sometimes they just jerked and bucked like a bull at a rodeo.........and these were gas/ICE only cars, not hybrids.
realto likes this.
eddarrah is offline  
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Multiple Issues

I contacted the dealership as well as KIA who assigned a case number to my stuttering issue. I called it a "Hunt" as the vehicle seems to get confused over which power source it will use as well as a computer program that is to tight in tolerance when setting a MPH. If the vehicle is set to 60 mph the computer does not allow a variance of more than one mph causing the vehicle powertrain to constantly turn on and off accordingly. I've had a few conversations with multiple representatives from KIA who promise that they will get with the dealer to get to the root cause but eventually the phone call and follow up stops. I now have 9000 miles on the vehicle and have regretted every one since purchase. I've offered to work with development engineers for a software push to correct the issues. Its too bad that there seems to be a lack ot progress or attention to the issues as this is a beautiful vehicle. Interesting fact is that I purchased two of these vehicles about 4 months apart and the first one is a total different driving experience. The suspension is tighter (doesn't wander), headlights don't shake going over bumps, mirror in night mode doesn't cutoff the rear window, and the brakes dont grab.
extech67 and bicepeak like this.
Bushnell2003 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flawed Operations System Janet Kia Niro Owners Registry And Check In Area 40 09-08-2018 08:25 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome