Kia Niro Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
is there a trailer hitch receiver available for the kia niro EV? is the rear of chassis, where a trailer hitch would mount the same on a normal niro, different than on the EV?
Just had a 2" installed on my 2017 Niro ex for my medical scooter at U Haul, total cost $230.00 and they said could tow a 4x6 or 5x8 trailer with no problem but I don't plan too.

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem
165 Posts
Hypothetically speaking, if I installed a Curt 13329 hitch (for bike rack obviously) I would most likely have done the following: Drill out two side holes in new locations to match a 2020 Niro EV then mount it up perfectly. It hypothetically takes 3 hours. The hitch at 12" high would need a 4-5" rise hitch to get to normal hitch levels.

Here are some computer renders of what that could look like:
Camera accessory Bumper Cameras & optics Gadget Camera

Attachments

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem
165 Posts
Finally got around to installing the trim - Slot in three places, one slot on either side and a cutout in the middle for the hitch reciever. Aero trim fits right back up around the C13329 class 3 hitch.
Automotive lighting Walking shoe Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
13 Posts
is there a trailer hitch receiver available for the kia niro EV? is the rear of chassis, where a trailer hitch would mount the same on a normal niro, different than on the EV?
Texas Hitch & Truck; Austin, TX just installed an ECO Hitch ECOX7740 (Class 2) hitch on my 2019 Niro EV Premium. Must fit well because they won't install if they have to make any modifications.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Niro EV
8 Posts
Eco Hitch is a brand from a company in Kent, WA called Torklift Central. They are currently offering two models for 2019-2022 Niro EV, the x7440 and the x7442, on their web site. I called them yesterday and they will also install these hitches; their web site also lists authorized resellers/installers in various locations.

If you have a 2022 Niro EV, I also noticed that Curt has come out with a model #13497 that is advertised to fit the 2022 Hybrid, PHEV, and EV models with "no drilling". The Curt model mentioned above in this forum is the #13329, which they say will fit 2017-2022 but excluding PHEV and EV models (which seems to fit with the experience of others trying to install it on their Niro EV).

All of the Eco Hitch and Curt Hitch models have a 2" receiver. The Curt is considerably less expensive, especially if you get it on etrailer.com. I might try it... if so I'll report back on this forum.

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem
165 Posts
Eco Hitch is a brand from a company in Kent, WA called Torklift Central. They are currently offering two models for 2019-2022 Niro EV, the x7440 and the x7442, on their web site. I called them yesterday and they will also install these hitches; their web site also lists authorized resellers/installers in various locations.

If you have a 2022 Niro EV, I also noticed that Curt has come out with a model #13497 that is advertised to fit the 2022 Hybrid, PHEV, and EV models with "no drilling". The Curt model mentioned above in this forum is the #13329, which they say will fit 2017-2022 but excluding PHEV and EV models (which seems to fit with the experience of others trying to install it on their Niro EV).

All of the Eco Hitch and Curt Hitch models have a 2" receiver. The Curt is considerably less expensive, especially if you get it on etrailer.com. I might try it... if so I'll report back on this forum.
Did Eco Hitch say what the rating is on the X7440 and X7442?

It seems the Curt 13329 is the only other one rated for 3500 lbs and bolts to both the sides and bottom of the frame rails.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Niro EV
8 Posts
Did Eco Hitch say what the rating is on the X7440 and X7442?

It seems the Curt 13329 is the only other one rated for 3500 lbs and bolts to both the sides and bottom of the frame rails.
The Curt 13497 is a 2" receiver, rated 2000 lbs trailer weight for towing, 200 lbs tongue weight. Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2" Receiver, Select Kia Niro, Niro EV ($271 on Curt, $246 on etrailer, says it fits the 2022 Niro and Niro EV only)

The Eco Hitch x7440s is a 2" receiver, rated at 3500 lbs towing, 525 lbs tongue weight. Kia Niro trailer hitch EV model by EcoHitch® (stainless steel) ($409, says it fits the 2019-2022 Niro EV)

I am no longer finding the x7442s on the Torklift web site (or any other model of hitch for the Niro EV or other Niro).

·
Registered
2020 EX EV
2 Posts
Why are no class-2 hitches made for it? No way I'm needing 3500# ratings for a 4x5 trailer whose max is 900#. :confused: Easier to adapt a heavy one than tweak a light one, apparently..

At least the eco|hitch needs no trimming to work, so more cash but less hassle.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Niro EV
8 Posts
My take on it is gratitude that we at least now have an available hitch that (supposedly) doesn't require any modification of the car or hitch to install and use it! I'd rather have a hitch that can handle more than I need (for a bike rack) than no hitch at all. (The Curt 13497 hitch has a lower towing weight rating and is less expensive as well, so you might want to look into that one.)

·
Registered
2022 Kia Niro EV
8 Posts
Update: I ordered the Curt 13497 hitch from etrailer.com for my 2022 Kia Niro EV. We spent a couple of hours on the supposedly "easy" install that "requires no drilling or welding" and was supposed to only require cutting plastic pieces. But the hitch bar rested up against a metal flange on the underside of the spare tire compartment, and the side pieces were not the right length to reach up to the bolt holes from that position. We could attach it on one side or the other, but not both sides at once. It was close to fitting, and maybe if I'd been willing to take a hammer to the underside of my car we could have made it fit, but I wasn't. I sent it back.

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem
165 Posts
Update: I ordered the Curt 13497 hitch from etrailer.com for my 2022 Kia Niro EV. We spent a couple of hours on the supposedly "easy" install that "requires no drilling or welding" and was supposed to only require cutting plastic pieces. But the hitch bar rested up against a metal flange on the underside of the spare tire compartment, and the side pieces were not the right length to reach up to the bolt holes from that position. We could attach it on one side or the other, but not both sides at once. It was close to fitting, and maybe if I'd been willing to take a hammer to the underside of my car we could have made it fit, but I wasn't. I sent it back.
I wonder if each niro is different - or if there are several different versions of the niro rear frame rails? For instance, my 2020 rear frame holes seemed to be a little bit different than Ecobrap's 2019 rear frame holes - and would thus require hitch modifications in a different position.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts