Kia Niro Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I registered to share my 2 cents. The quote above nails it especially the part in bold print (ok apparently this didn;t work so in between the random B's). It's only in gas mode. Now to those who say its the DCT, I worked at a VW dealer and it's not the same thing. To those who think this is just a hybrid thing, it is not my first hybrid and it only happens when the display shows gas only mode. It happens in almost a rhythmic way, like a nail in your tire when moving slow, it has a consistent timing to it (not sure if that makes sense). It feels similar to a transmission slipping but not exactly like that either. It actually bucks you while your driving, like intermittent boosts of power. It's very difficult to explain to someone who has never experienced it. If you stomp on the gas or if you let go of it completely, it disappears. If the battery joins the party it disappears as well. I'm not sure if I helped or confused people more here but I wanted to express that there is yet another person here with a 2017 having issues.
This is exactly what i experience in my car for the last two years and three trips to the dealer. At this point all warranty work has been completed but the "stutter" remains. I agree it seems to be primarily when the engine is cold but it happens when warm and traveling at coasting speeds on the highway. I'm also only getting 42MGP and i drive a mix of highway and city. Not horrible, but not what is advertised.

I have the benefit of owning two of these, same year and same trim. One has these issues and the other doesn't the one with no issues is also getting 52mpg and drives primarily highway. Some of the other post mention dealerships looking up serial numbers. Doesn't this confirm a batch of bad parts!? I assume i have one Niro with good parts and one with bad parts.

Any recommendation in forcing the dealers hand to actually do something or should i just keep taking it back?

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is exactly what i experience in my car for the last two years and three trips to the dealer. At this point all warranty work has been completed but the "stutter" remains. I agree it seems to be primarily when the engine is cold but it happens when warm and traveling at coasting speeds on the highway. I'm also only getting 42MGP and i drive a mix of highway and city. Not horrible, but not what is advertised.

I have the benefit of owning two of these, same year and same trim. One has these issues and the other doesn't the one with no issues is also getting 52mpg and drives primarily highway. Some of the other post mention dealerships looking up serial numbers. Doesn't this confirm a batch of bad parts!? I assume i have one Niro with good parts and one with bad parts.

Any recommendation in forcing the dealers hand to actually do something or should i just keep taking it back?
Damon: Do you have HEV or PHEV? What year and what model are each & which one has issues?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello. is there any update to this stuttering/jittering nightmare solution? I just bought used Niro HEV 2017 (Europe, Slovakia) at 28k KM. I had felt slight jitter during constant speed above 50km/h already during the test drive before purchase, but i thought its due to the transmission and hybrid system. I had the car looked by dealer and doing diagnostic before the purchase also, which they told me was all OK. Now I have done some 200+ km on it and sometimes its doing it, sometimes not. Its very subtle most of the time, you can really feel it only on good quality road going at constant speed. But I feel it there.. I will have the car examined by dealer, I just wanted to know if anyone has succesfully solved this issue, so I could give the dealer a hint, where to look. thanks for any info.. I really like the car but this issue is making me extremely annoyed..

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
You may simply be more sensitive. Like me! I can feel something similar. Happens only in EV, or when the motor is assisting with EV torque. Easiest to perceive at lower speeds on cruise control but I feel it at high speeds as well. Only on cruise control. And yes, smooth roads make it more evident. Never in ICE only.

This is a different issue than everyone else complaining about stuttering. That is a clearly something that needs fixing. Our problem is an algorithm that needs tweaking, or a sensor. I think it affects all Niros and Ioniqs but most owners just cannot feel it.

It took me a couple months of ownership to understand what was going on and I posted about it a year and a half ago. A constant slight speeding up and slowing down. Enough to feel it in my back and head. Not enough to change speedometer. Kind of like the motor must be constantly changing torque slightly just to figure out how fast it is turning.

No doubt some Kia engineer would know what is going on. But since the average driver cannot feel this, or a mechanic, it would be impossible to escalate this issue to such an engineer. And I doubt they would issue a fix.

Still notice this on every drive after 22 months of ownership. Annoying, but I can tune it out.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Oh, just to add, the constant flutter in torque cannot be to sense simple motor rpm. More likely to sense changing power needs related to changing grade and wind conditions. Nothing else makes sense to me.

·
Super Moderator
627 Posts
You may simply be more sensitive. Like me! I can feel something similar. Happens only in EV, or when the motor is assisting with EV torque. Easiest to perceive at lower speeds on cruise control but I feel it at high speeds as well. Only on cruise control. And yes, smooth roads make it more evident. Never in ICE only.
I believe I feel the same thing. While on CC I get the feeling of mild deceleration and then acceleration. As you said, not enough to measure on the speedometer. My take was it's the CC attempting to maintain a precise set speed. I do notice that the CC nails the set speed perfectly, while virtually every previous car would let the speed wander +/- 2-3 MPH. This is the second car I've had with adaptive cruise, the previous being an Outback with Eyesight. The Niro does far better holding its speed than the Subaru. I figured the slight adjustments I felt was the car using regen to tweak the speed, rather than using the throttle alone for speed control.

As you said, I can mostly tune it out, and overall appreciate how well the car holds its set speed, especially downhill. That's where the Subaru was really coarse with speed control.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I only feel it when it hasn't warmed up yet then it goes away. Usually 3-4 small jerks then its gone. All within 5 seconds same time period. Usually when I first get into cruise. Feels like a misfire but seems to be the tranny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
this is exactly what im talking about.. its the same issue everyone is talking about here

I found the cause of this stutter/miss/jerk!!!!

After a couple of weeks of monitoring different engine parameters with my OBDII scanner, I finally found something that corresponds exactly to the stutter.

First I found that this is most noticeable when the engine temp is in the range from 150 to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Then I saw that while cruising at a constant speed of 50 mph, the throttle position fluctuates by 4 even when I am keeping the gas pedal constant.

For reference, full throttle is 85 while zero throttle(engine at idle) is 14.

So the throttle fluctuating by 4 does not seem like a big deal when the overall throttle movement from idle to full throttle is 71. But wait, you don’t cruise at full throttle so the full throttle position of 85 needs to be ignored for right now.

Idle speed is 14 and cruising throttle position at 50 mph is 30. Subtract 14 from 30 and you get 16. That is how much throttle is needed to maintain 50 mph. So the throttle position at the engine was fluctuating by 4. 4 is 25% of 16. So the throttle is changing 25% when the stutter/jerk/miss happens! That is huge! And it changes VERY quickly.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Actually, there are two rather dissimilar issues being discussed here now. I have never felt anything similar to a misfire or stutter. Yet I've had 25,000 miles of another strange issue that has now been verified by two different posters here in two different countries. Thanks guys! I thought I was perhaps crazy for the first month, but I knew the same behavior must be present in all Niros.

There certainly can be jerky downshifts when our cars are cold, and there have been some injectors replaced under warranty to fix stuttering or poor mpg. I only posted my story to this thread because someone else posted this new behavior report (really deserves its own thread). Jerky downshifts when cold is normal behavior, as are subtle accelerations/decelerations. Stuttering is a warranty issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've never experienced a stutter. What I do notice is the programming for the motor is not quite as fuzzy as it should be. I doubt if anyone else notices this (I seem to be unusually sensitive to this), but the motor is constantly varying supplied torque. This is particularly noticeable at lower speeds where the load is lower. And I know it is the motor and not the engine programming because it happens on motor drive only. There is a constant back and forth varying pressure on my back from the changes in torque from acceleration changes. Not enough to make the speedometer reading budge in the slightest. While I'm usually on cruise control from 20 mph up, I can notice this behavior holding a constant speed manually. As I said, more noticeable at lower speeds, but I can feel it all the way up to 65 mph (on the flat).
Can you please explain exactly what stutter means? Im not a native speaker. As far as I understand it is some hesitation of engine to accelerate after pressing the gas pedal or not accelerating at all?

I believe, im experiencing what yticolev wrote. Like the ride at constant speed is not smooth, there is this twitching sometimes, when in ICE mode (doesnt matter if its charging battery or not, if electric engine is engaged or not). It happens when engine is cold or hot, in manual gas or CC mode, doesnt matter. It goes away by itself or when the electric motor kicks in. It can happen anywhere between 30 to 65 mph. I have not yet found a pattern, as to when it occurs or what triggers it. The twitching is subtle, like yticolev wrote, its not visible in speedometer. I got an OBDII scanner, any idea which parameters should make the twitching visible in hard data? I checked absolute position of gas pedal sensor and it didnt seem to change during the twitching.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If you can read the current draw of the motor with the OBD reader, that may reveal a gentle slight up and down that resembles what we are feeling. It is not something I feel in ICE mode with the battery charging so I'm pretty certain that it is the motor.

A stutter should generally mean to an American that the car jerks. Could be a misfire or some other interruption in fuel delivery or firing of the spark plugs (sometimes a dirty or damaged spark plug or in the old days, the points). These things should throw a code, but may not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you can read the current draw of the motor with the OBD reader, that may reveal a gentle slight up and down that resembles what we are feeling. It is not something I feel in ICE mode with the battery charging so I'm pretty certain that it is the motor.

A stutter should generally mean to an American that the car jerks. Could be a misfire or some other interruption in fuel delivery or firing of the spark plugs (sometimes a dirty or damaged spark plug or in the old days, the points). These things should throw a code, but may not.
So i hooked my OBD scanner and monitored the engine torque and speed to capture the engine stuttering. And here it is.

I was holding constant 57km/h - i must have been going 57.4-57.5 because speed was quickly changing 57-58 due to rounding. The engine torque did 4 ups&downs of 50-60 rpm during 5 seconds - thats 4-5% of 1530Rpm so quite much to be feelable. After that the engine turned of and switched to EV. The issue occurs not just only before the switch to EV.

I havent yet used up my whole tank, but based on the computer I should reach around 520miles altogether for one tank -should be around 42 MPG. I drive mostly city. It should be better right?

Im going to dealer tomorrow to have them ride with me and show them this data. Hopefully they will not shut me off.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Not sure what drive mode you are describing. I don't feel this in ICE only operation. As far as I know, there are three possible modalities at a steady state speed.
1. EV
2. ICE plus added motor torque.
3. ICE propulsion only - charging battery, no motor (no added motor torque)
I only experience the very slight torque changes in the first two modes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
it happens in 2. and 3. option. My dealer acknowledged the issue and i have scheduled a date for ignition coils replacement, new spark plugs did not solve anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to register just to share my problems with my Kia Niro
I live in Sweden and I have a Kia Niro HEV that is 13month old and have done 20000km. I have had stutter problem for around 11 month now.

I have 2 problems

1. If I'm on the CC acceleration from say 30kph to 80kph. When the car passes 55kph the car stutters/vibrates. It can happen from 50-65kph but mostly it's at 55kph. This does not happen every time and the stutter ranges from very mild to the whole car shaking. Both on summer tire and on winter tire. So its not a tire issue

2. Riding with the CC at 100kph I can feel a slight judder or twitching. The car is not running 100% smooth. This is on a newly paved road so the road I perfectly smooth.

I've had my car at the dealer 5 times now and they can't find what's wrong. Last time the told me that it's supposed to behave like this and that I should contact Kia Sweden if didn't like that answer. So I contacted Kia Sweden and they also say these vibration is by design and that they haven't heard of anyone else with the same problem

I'm gonna show Kia Sweden this thread.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
This thread is not going to help - too many unrelated complaints. Even I have no idea of what you are describing. Is the ICE on when this happens? If so, it could be the fuel injectors. Or an engine sensor that doesn't throw a code - reports of that before.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had to register just to share my problems with my Kia Niro
I live in Sweden and I have a Kia Niro HEV that is 13month old and have done 20000km. I have had stutter problem for around 11 month now.

I have 2 problems

1. If I'm on the CC acceleration from say 30kph to 80kph. When the car passes 55kph the car stutters/vibrates. It can happen from 50-65kph but mostly it's at 55kph. This does not happen every time and the stutter ranges from very mild to the whole car shaking. Both on summer tire and on winter tire. So its not a tire issue

2. Riding with the CC at 100kph I can feel a slight judder or twitching. The car is not running 100% smooth. This is on a newly paved road so the road I perfectly smooth.

I've had my car at the dealer 5 times now and they can't find what's wrong. Last time the told me that it's supposed to behave like this and that I should contact Kia Sweden if didn't like that answer. So I contacted Kia Sweden and they also say these vibration is by design and that they haven't heard of anyone else with the same problem

I'm gonna show Kia Sweden this thread.
A pretty silly contradiction, don't you think: "they also say these vibration is by design and that they haven't heard of anyone else with the same problem". If it was truly by design, then everyone else would have the same problem.

The problem is that you are probably talking with customer support people who have little mechanical understanding of the car and its idiosyncrasies. But even then, I don't think any manufacturer would want to publicly state that "this model has obnoxious vibrations at certain speeds, and that's by design". If they are really saying that to you, then your take-away should probably be that you are plugged into a person who has the primary objective of making you go away, rather than helping you to solve a problem. You need to discover a way to plug into a more responsive part of the organization.

I'm not at all qualified to perform advanced maintenance on a Kia Niro, and so this is a bit of a long-shot guess, but I have read that after changing the engine clutch actuator fluid, the computer needs to be re-trained with respect to engaging the engine clutch. It occurs to me the symptoms you are experiencing might, just maybe, be related to a problem with the way the computer is interacting with the engine clutch system. So one idea you might want to entertain is the thought that maybe you are overdue for replacing that fluid and also having the computer retrained. As I said, this is a bit of a guess, and I wouldn't bet a lot of money on this idea turning out to be a solution. Here in the US, we're told that to replace the engine clutch actuator fluid rather frequently (I think the first is at 18 months). Many Kia shops don't know how to do it. Those that do know how seem to want to charge about $100 US to do that work.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My 2017 NIRO bought Feb 2017, one of first two on Dealers lot. It's an EX with the sunroof option (never use the sunroof, just wanted the safety that comes with that option). .

Been mild stutter, shutter, miss (whatever you call it) since noticing it a few months after purchase. It's more noticeable at times than other times.

I have not been able or really tried to tie it to any particular driving condition (ICE or E Mode). Overall, I think when it is colder (been on the road for say 30 minutes), and at mostly speeds in 40 MPH + / - range. Don't think ever noticed it at higher speeds (like on Interstate).

I quit worrying about it, get average of 50 MPG for 33,335 miles on car.

Quit worrying, but it is irritating as heck to have a car doing that and explaining to anyone that rides in it and asks, "What was that jerking?", "Did I feel a jerking."

YES, you felt a Jerking, (what ever you call it) it and who know what it is, not KIA.

I still like the ride, handling, room in car for a small car, and MPG. That said, I don't think I would buy another.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am having an issue with 2019 Kia Niro EX. Didn't seem to have an issue till about 10K, at least that is when I noticed it. I now am over 25K and noticing it more and so have my passengers one of which is a mechanic which is why I took it in today. The stutter happens in gas mode in between 35-50 miles per hour, when your foot is lightly on the pedal, not kicking into electric or not pushing down harder on the gas to get power. It generally happens when the car is cold or it is rainy, I have a 15 minute drive on rural roads till I hit the highway, never happens after it warms up on the highway. I am also noticing that it has a rough idle for the first few minutes when starting when it is cold. I have not lost gas mileage yet! The mechanic stated is feels like a misfire but yet it never sets a code, dealership said they could not replicate the issue after having it sit for a couple hours before driving... stated that it is normal driving mode... My theory is it has something to do with the oil being cold and if it is thick and all in the bottom of the engine it is not getting enough to the to the top of the engine till it warms up and the valves may be "slipping" (or something of that nature) but once warmed up it flows easily through... 2007-2011 Ford Tritan engines have issues if an oil filter with a back flow is not used and it lets all the oil drain back into the pan and it puts extra wear and tear on the timing chains and phasers and tensioners etc...till they need replaced.. If it continues I will take it back in and leave it over night when I know it will rain the next day and it's cold to see if they get my same result.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts