Kia Niro Forum banner
301 - 303 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having this exact same problem which is why I'm here today looking for it to see if others are having it. Only noticed recently with cold weather. Come to a complete stop at a light, wait a little bit, then push gently on accelerator and this big jerk that scares the s*** out of me. It's such a large jerk it's similar to being rear-ended or something. It's like an engine or transmission seize. I have a 2020 Niro for less than 1 year now. I live in Concord, CA, which is flat terrain, no hills. Same as original poster, it doesn't happen 100%, so it would be difficult to reproduce for the dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a Niro PHEV two weeks ago and after driving it for a couple of days i started getting a loud jerk when starting from a full stop. At first it started happened in EV mode only but I've had it happen in Hybrid mode a couple of times ( not sure if the engine is actually working or just on for Heating). The sound and jerk can best be described as what happens when you drive a stick shift and you pull the clutch too quickly in first gear without any gas and the car jerks forward.

The challenge here is that is happens RANDOMLY and is impossible to replicate accurately. It's happened in 'cold' weather early morning ( 40 degrees F) when the car has been running for a while, when I back up and then switch to drive. The dealership is giving me the run around since they haven't been able to replicate the problem when they drive it so they refuse to take the car in and open a ticket. I have a video where you can clearly hear the loud noise and se the 'jerk' but can;t attach it here. If anybody else has seen this problem please advise. The dealer says they checked the worldwide Kia database and haven't found any similar problem ( therefore refuse to work on it). They drove it around with the sensors and 'testing kit' and say all the reading are fine. I believe the car is unsafe to drive but apparently the dealer doesn't agree.

The car has less than 500 miles on it so this is clearly a factory defect. I have escalated the issue to customer service and I'm waiting to hear what they come back with.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem, the more information i have the quicker they can get to the bottom of this!!

thanks.
Hello.
I have exactly the same problem. I even have the TSB 093 (as posted on this Forum. Thanks!). But before I had that info, i thought i was the only one with this "lemon". I had taken it in to the dealer and received the same runaround. Now, even though I am "armed" with this TSB, no matter which kia dealership service dept I call, they have to "start from scratch" to determine the issue. What that tells me this other Kia service dept is going to to same thing. They will take it for a drive, and of course, since it is SO RANDOM, they will find nothing wrong. It seems to be a vicious circle. I'm going to contact the Kia headquarters "Help Center' and see if they can or will help me with it. I tell ya right now, though. With this run around from the company not backing up their product when you HAVE THE TSB FOR THEM TO SEE! I will not be buying a k
Kia in the future. How is it you spend 40K on a car and they won't back it up?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This has been the worst experience ever. Talked to Kia of Portland and I'm getting the same response as usual "we don't know what the problem is". They told me the action they have taken is "emailing with engineering" (whatever that means). The dealer keeps blaming Kia motors and Kia motors keeps blaming the dealer.
greeaaat!

301 - 303 of 303 Posts