Kia Niro Forum banner
281 - 300 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia niro hev ex premium
107 Posts
same for me
I tried to copy what my Kia dealership did for me but I can’t. I posted mine on page 11 here if you like to read what they did. So far what my service department have done helped out a number of niro’s with the problem we are all having. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know Kia Canada hasn’t done a recall but they have a bulletin out for if a car comes in with this problem they do a relearn first, then they change the gear fluid and a some other stuff. View attachment 6978
this is what they did to my niro and the tranny is great now and only at times has a somewhat hard downshift. We now thought have a injector problem I believe because its feels like the sound of an engine that is starving for fuel.
2019 KIA Niro L got this problem too, I am in Toronto and the dealer cannot diagnosis the problem yet. Sound I need to contact KIA Canada and seek for solutions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Print this out for them since Kia has this out service bulletin out now for about 8 months now. It fixed my niro right away and sounds like everyone else with this problem.

Thanks Doug

My Niro didn't make noise during the inspection, but jerking noise after I left the dealer 😂. I mentioned this forum and show my dash cam video to him. But they cannot open a case. I will check with KIA Canada and see what they can do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I discussed this problem with a service manager at Kia yesterday and was told they were aware of the problem and that changing the atf would not correct the problem. He suggested that there might have been some incorrect parts in the clutch assembly. Has anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I discussed this problem with a service manager at Kia yesterday and was told they were aware of the problem and that changing the atf would not correct the problem. He suggested that there might have been some incorrect parts in the clutch assembly. Has anyone else heard of this?
Well it has fixed my niro for a full 2 years and at least around a dozen others that have had the same problem. I would call Kia Corp and tell them to call your service department so they handle it for you. My service department didn’t want to fix anything inside the tranny because they feel it won’t strong long lasting when it gets disassembled. The other option if the changing of the fluid didn’t work 2 years ago would have been a new transmission. It really doesn’t matter what the service department thinks will work or not since the TSB was made as a solution and a step to fix a problem. Kia h.o. Will deal with them to get the fluid changed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks Doug

My Niro didn't make noise during the inspection, but jerking noise after I left the dealer 😂. I mentioned this forum and show my dash cam video to him. But they cannot open a case. I will check with KIA Canada and see what they can do.
Were you able to get your car fixed now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Were you able to get your car fixed now?
I been to the dealer last Friday, the technician hearing the noise twice but they believed it was from my disc rotors. So he told me to replace them and then he can follow up... So I paid for the transmission oil change.
After the oil change, I heard one jerking noise. Not three daily lol. It might be some bad oil in the transmission?

Thanks Doug

·
Registered
107 Posts
I been to the dealer last Friday, the technician hearing the noise twice but they believed it was from my disc rotors. So he told me to replace them and then he can follow up... So I paid for the transmission oil change.
After the oil change, I heard one jerking noise. Not three daily lol. It might be some bad oil in the transmission?

Thanks Doug
if they changed the transmission fluid to the recall fluid then it should maybe be 2 or 3 days I was told for the tranny to reset itself. After that I should be fine.
With mine Kia Canada did a 3 step program to this problem that Kia Canada to my service department to do. First was to reset and update the computer. If that didn’t work they did something else I can’t remember the name to. Relearn or something like that. If that didn’t work then they would do a stop and go 50 times and all different speeds and gas petal soft and hard starts. If it still did the clink then they would change the fluid to right fluid, install some new magnet gasket, and reset everything again. If that didn’t work it was a new tranny. I never had to pay for any tranny fluid change since it was listed under a recall and Kia Canada fully aware of this. I would call Kia a Canada and let them know what is happening and they will contact the service department you are going to. I’m in Vancouver bc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Richard,

I believed your dealer is right, something wrong might come up again in our transmission.

I wonder how often you hear the jerking noise? My mileage is 29,000km. It happened randomly and monthly in first year. And recently it happened three to four time daily. It is so annoyed to all passenger.

I paid for the transmission oil change last Friday, it seems better but I still hear one jerking noise. Maybe some old oil remain in the transmission.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK, I've read everyone of the posts on this topic, and I have a date next week to have the 093 TSB performed on my Niro. At least I hope the will do this. My question is the following:

In some instances, Niro owners are saying that portions of the clutch or transmission were swapped out which solved the problem. In other cases, it appears that the only change was the transmission oil. Is it possible that all of the solutions involved just the oil, which would have been changed with new parts or a new transmission? In other words, the hardware as actually fine, but since the oil was changed (upgraded?) at the same time, the problem was the oil all along?

Just asking. I am interested in whether we're chasing multiple issues that have the same symptoms, or whether there's only a single cause.

Cheers, and thanks to EVERYONE who contributed to chasing down this issue.

Chuck Hawley
Santa Cruz

·
Registered
1 Posts
this link should work.

It's a noise with a forward jerk. When the car doesn't make the noise it runs fine. Brakes work and no other noises whatsoever.

Interesting comment on the hill assist. If my Nero has it then that could be the problem - it's malfunctioning and not activating when needed and activating when not (causing the jerk)
It happened for the first and second time to me today in my 2020 Niro. It's going to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It happened for the first and second time to me today in my 2020 Niro. It's going to the dealer tomorrow.
I had the exact same problem on my 2019 niro. If you go on YouTube and type in 2019 Kia niro jerking from stop I have the same sound. In this forum I have posted the TSB that was issued by Kia and also what they did to fix my car. It’s posted on thread 284. Thread 274 is the posted TSB that you print off and take in with you as well to show them there is an issue that Kia has a recall for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Took our 2019 NIRO PHEV to the service department at our dealer (30 miles away) and gave them printouts of the very helpful information on this forum. They wanted $270 to diagnose the problem IF they couldn't find the problem (false negative, I guess) but would not charge us if they did find the issue. After one day of trying, they think the felt the jerk. Keeping it for another day. I gave them a copy of TSB093 just in case. They said that I transmission oil exchange, retail, was just over $200, for something that has 0.6 hours of labor and two quarts of oil.

I wanted to take a shower after I was at the dealer. I am not sure why I bought a car that has no dealers in my town, but I really loved the car. Until I read the stuff in this forum. Can't keep the 12V battery charged? That seems pretty basic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Took our 2019 NIRO PHEV to the service department at our dealer (30 miles away) and gave them printouts of the very helpful information on this forum. They wanted $270 to diagnose the problem IF they couldn't find the problem (false negative, I guess) but would not charge us if they did find the issue. After one day of trying, they think the felt the jerk. Keeping it for another day. I gave them a copy of TSB093 just in case. They said that I transmission oil exchange, retail, was just over $200, for something that has 0.6 hours of labor and two quarts of oil.

I wanted to take a shower after I was at the dealer. I am not sure why I bought a car that has no dealers in my town, but I really loved the car. Until I read the stuff in this forum. Can't keep the 12V battery charged? That seems pretty basic.

the changing of the tranny oil should be done for free because of this issue and TSB I was told. I’m in Canada and was with Kia canada with a open ticket till it was fixed but I would be calling Kia USA Corp and open a ticket up with them to contact where you took your car into. I paid nothing for 3 diagnosis , two oil changes, 2 magnet rings things(can’t remember for what), a relearn software, and a computer hardware update. I service manager said it was about 1000 bucks but as he said your safety was priority. If that jerk happens when you are turning left ano you get t-boned Kias USA will start to see some lawsuits coming on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Final (I hope) update on my car. The service guy called me and wanted to only due a transmission "reset" or whatever they can do in software. After performing the reset, the car still had the jerk problem, so they implemented TSB 093, and apparently that resolved the problem. I'll get the car tomorrow and let you know if it still exists.

Chuck

·
Registered
107 Posts
Final (I hope) update on my car. The service guy called me and wanted to only due a transmission "reset" or whatever they can do in software. After performing the reset, the car still had the jerk problem, so they implemented TSB 093, and apparently that resolved the problem. I'll get the car tomorrow and let you know if it still exists.

Chuck
Yes. The reset is for the transmission to relearn they call it. It’s the first step they have to take in the TSB. Second step is the new transmission fluid. Third is a section of the transmission gets replaced or the whole transmission.

281 - 300 of 303 Posts