Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
He said $13k less, not the total price. ;)
Right. Both EXs. The used '21 ended up 25.8K plus usual dealer paperwork fee, tax, title, tag. When I first drove it the day before, asking was 27.8K. Almost 60K miles - a lot, yet one owner, clean Carfax, properly maintained and virtually new. The selling Mazda dealer offered to let me take it home overnight. I graciously accepted. Next day my wife took it on her commute - two thumbs up, then I had it inspected by Kia. Zero issues found and all maint items except HSG belt already done. While I was at work and planning to return it that evening to haggle, surprisingly they dropped asking to what I was going to offer anyway. I have no doubt it would have disappeared the next day or two.

Previous day... the '23 was 35.8K sticker plus 4K dealer markup for some miscellaneous stuff worth at most 4-500 - none of which I wanted. That markup they wouldn't budge on. Plus same dealer fee, tax etc. it would have been at least +14K out the door. That '23 was decent to drive and even in the trim and color I wanted, but it didn't particularly inspire me, dunno. Had either they agreed to toss the markup and/or the tax credit still be available, I might have gone for it. For now I'll enjoy the savings on a late gen 1, and let in particular the battery tech evolve a bit more.

BTW as I write this, there's a 2020 EX PHEV in the same general area - white with 21.7K miles, asking 27.5K. Tough to find these in central FL: Autotrader - page unavailable

· Registered
2019 White PHEV EX Prem, Mich Premier AS tires, LED BU lights, window visors 2022 Subaru OB Touring
639 Posts
Alex is having a love affair with 2023 Niro PHEV.
I'm surprised he doesn't mention the Escape as a competitor. 🤔

Reactions: td42 and Techy

· Registered
9 Posts
I was looking at a Ford escape today in my supermarket parking lot parked next to my Niro phev. They are closer in size than I expected. The Ford was an ICE.
I ordered a Ford escape phev march 2022. Sel with moon roof and tow package it was 41000, with dealer fees and tag and tax it was 47000. But with 2000 discount from Ford and 6800 tax credit from the feds ( the battery does not qualify for full tax credit) I could afford it.
In October of 2022 when I found out my order was rolling over to a 2023 with unknown tax credit and price increases, I canceled my order and by early November I was driving my 22 kia phev with 6800 miles for 10000 less than the Ford. So I came out about even and love my kia.
One plus for kia is dependability. Ford has many recalls while the newer kias have few to none and they are much more dependable with a better warranty.
The blue oval forum has Ford engineers and dealer managers who will answer your questions. A couple of things I learned there:
Ford plans to build 15000 2023 phevs and already has 30000 orders.
If you order find a dealer who actually sells electric and plugin models and will go to bat to get you a car. This was my biggest mistake.
More on the blue oval forum.

· Registered
2019 White PHEV EX Prem, Mich Premier AS tires, LED BU lights, window visors 2022 Subaru OB Touring
639 Posts
Kmlislemary: I had very similar experience with a 22 Escape, same options you selected. Car was shown as "in transit" for about 4 -5 months. I finally decided I didn't really need to replace my Niro PHEV & let it go. If needed a new car and both the Escape PHEV & Niro PHEV were available on dealer lots at similar costs, I would have a hard time choosing; I'd have to default to my wife's choice of seating & ingress/egress. :rolleyes:
I see that you formerly had an Outback. There are at least 6 former OB owners on this site and our "highway car" is a '22 OB. I think of the Niro as a 2/3 size OB as the are very similar in terms of utility and practicality.

Reactions: kmlisle.mary

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
Car was shown as "in transit" for about 4 -5 months.
In transit... to the moon and back? Tell me Kia doesn't do this :cautious:. I'm afraid I'd have moved on after no more than a month, unless (here for example) Ford was providing regular updates on my in-transit vehicle, and a firm ETA. I know relatively little about the car industry. That however appears dishonest, and would serve at least to warn me away from the brand.

· Registered
639 Posts
To be clear, I didn't order the car I described, the dealer had it listed as "in transit" when I discovered on line. Based on what I have seen on Ford Forums, forever delivery dates are common place. Even now dealers in Pacific NW are showing several 22 Esc PHEVs as in transit.
Ford has hit the jackpot with their EV models with virtually all models being sold beyond what they can produce, at least in the near future. Witness Mary's "Ford plans to build 15000 2023 phevs and already has 30000 orders". The fortunate 15,000 purchasers who manage to get an Esc PHEV will be very fortunate if they can get it anywhere near MSRP. Its a rough time to be in the market for any sort of any EV, calls for patience and willingness to pony up a bundle to get one wants.

Reactions: dblackfl

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
Glad to hear they didnt have you on the hook e.g. with a deposit. I'm still calling them out for at least the appearance of dishonesty - to tell a potential customer a new vehicle is "in transit" for such a ridiculously long time.

· Registered
639 Posts
Oh I did have a $1000 deposit (basically a hold on my CC), but it was fully refundable. Basically I had 1st dibs on the car.

Reactions: dblackfl

· Registered
639 Posts

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah, that was posted on the Escape forum as well. All the posters that have placed orders are cheering, because it should mean that theirs will be built. I have a hunch that if I get an Escape PHEV, it's going to be a '22 model. There's a couple near me that have the options I would want for that model year. The only thing I'd be missing is the 360 camera, which I admit I will miss from my Bolt. GM gave me my firm offer today to buy back my Bolt, and it was even better than I hoped. So I'll easily be able to get something new, assuming the buyback doesn't take much longer to complete.

Reactions: Beth and Dovidan
21 - 32 of 32 Posts