Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Actually, I think I just figured out why the lower tire warranty. The same thing that makes high profile tires more efficient is also the reason why low profile tires have reduced longevity. Better flotation and wider sidewalls make such tires conform to irregular road surfaces better. Less squirming, hopping, and rubbing means lower rolling resistance. The opposite of this occurs on low profile tires, increasing rolling resistance and... wear! Thus manufacturers like Michelin rate the 16" tires for 65,000 miles, and the 18" tires for 55,000 miles. Mind you, they also come from different model lines which might well make a difference too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Benefits of low profile tires are mostly looks (for those who like the looks). They do handle better than standard tires (not too many owners drive crazy in hybrids though), but at considerable downside. They cost more, produce more road noise and less comfort, and are significantly less efficient. I've recently discovered that the tread warranty is lower as well (not sure I understand why on that point). As I said, not a fan. Everyone of the points I just described would be a deal breaker for me.
To each their own, I've never experienced less tread wear, more road noise, or less comfort. But I guess it depends on the suspension on the vehicle, how you take care of and treat the tires, and the brand of tire. Some brands don't last near as long as other brands as far as tread wear. The same goes for road noise, some brands are very noisy and some are very quiet. Your experience obviously wasn't a good one, and I'm sorry to hear that. I respect that your not a low profile tire fan, and your definitely entitled to an opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually, I think I just figured out why the lower tire warranty. The same thing that makes high profile tires more efficient is also the reason why low profile tires have reduced longevity. Better flotation and wider sidewalls make such tires conform to irregular road surfaces better. Less squirming, hopping, and rubbing means lower rolling resistance. The opposite of this occurs on low profile tires, increasing rolling resistance and... wear! Thus manufacturers like Michelin rate the 16" tires for 65,000 miles, and the 18" tires for 55,000 miles. Mind you, they also come from different model lines which might well make a difference too.
That isn't totally true because the particular Michelin tires I have on my Niro are low rolling resistance tires, and their low profile. I think all Kia Niro's come with low rolling resistance tires from the factory cause obviously they are fuel efficient vehicles and it helps make them a little more fuel efficient. I do know that some tires are made with a softer rubber compound which lowers the mileage warranty. But in my experience and research, I haven't noticed lower mileage warranties based on low profile or regular tire, rather because of the rubber compound used to make them with. When I had my 2016 Kia Forte EX, the factory Nexen low profile tires barely made it to 40,000 miles. But the Nexen AH8 all season low profile tires i replaced them with had an 80,000 mile tire warranty on them. But it all depends on what you like and what makes you happy really. If you like regular profile tires better, then that's great. I personally have no preference myself as long as they wear well, ride nice and quiet, and last.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussions of physics and principles can always be preempted by bad design. Anecdotes on either side are pretty irrelevant. Things like warranty length and tested EPA ratings are more factual in nature. Extreme examples are sometimes helpful, for example would you agree that solid steel wheels like a train will get poor efficiency ratings on a road car? Road noise will increase, and comfort will decrease. That's the extreme example of a low profile tire. The extreme example of a high profile tire such as offroad tires, are also pretty darned inefficient on the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussions of physics and principles can always be preempted by bad design. Anecdotes on either side are pretty irrelevant. Things like warranty length and tested EPA ratings are more factual in nature. Extreme examples are sometimes helpful, for example would you agree that solid steel wheels like a train will get poor efficiency ratings on a road car? Road noise will increase, and comfort will decrease. That's the extreme example of a low profile tire. The extreme example of a high profile tire such as offroad tires, are also pretty darned inefficient on the road.
I agree with your analogy, and understand your not liking low profile tires, and respect that. For me though, I don't have a preference and like both styles. I like the ride on both the 2016 Forte EX and the 2019 Niro S Touring that I currently own, even with low profile tires. I also like the ride on the other Kia vehicles I've owned that had regular profile tires, but honestly haven't noticed any difference in road noise being better or worse because they were or weren't low profile. Like I said in the previous comment, it's all about like or preference. You don't like nor prefer low profile tires for your reasons which you've stated. I on the other hand like low profile tires as well as regular profile tires both. That's the beautiful thing about free will, is we are entitled to like different things, causd imagine how boring the world would be if we only had one choice of everything we bought or used in life?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
So you are not picky. Lucky you. Have you driven both the 18" wheel and 16" wheeled versions at the dealer back to back for a direct comparison?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So you are not picky. Lucky you. Have you driven both the 18" wheel and 16" wheeled versions at the dealer back to back for a direct comparison?
Yes, of course but I'm not going to argue about this with you all weekend. I've made it very clear so far that we differ in our preferences, and I'm going to leave it at that. You have your likes and dislikes, so do I and they aren't the same in this case. Enjoy your Niro, and enjoy your weekend.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
My "preference" is for better efficiency, comfort, and long life. If low profile tires did that, that would be my "preference". I bought my car for efficiency, not looks. I wasn't stating opinion here. The reason I said I wasn't a fan of low profile tires was based on physics. You can buy what you want. I happen to be picky. OK?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My "preference" is for better efficiency, comfort, and long life. If low profile tires did that, that would be my "preference". I bought my car for efficiency, not looks. I wasn't stating opinion here. The reason I said I wasn't a fan of low profile tires was based on physics. You can buy what you want. I happen to be picky. OK?
😂😂😂😂😂

21 - 29 of 29 Posts