Kia Niro Forum banner
101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Love that they fixed the preset move behavior! That drove me bonkers. I'll have to try to do the upgrade again. Last time it didn't work for me.
I saw you had some authentication issues. Not sure if it's the same thing but mine complained that the maps failed to authenticate before installing the update. Ignored it and ran the update, everything worked fine after that.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,941 Posts
Installed this latest update. Now the car is using the original SD card, since I had purchased a different one for the last update. Really like having the radio preset steering wheel control consistent now, although the update did re-sort my presets. Not a big deal, but that didn't happen with the last update.

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me, but I don't recall the nav screen showing such a blue sky. Overall the nav view looks quite good. I still don't understand the little indicators that appear at the bottom of the screen showing the directional options for an upcoming intersection. It's not consistent always showing the next one, as I've seen it skip one intersection to show the next one. It's something I'd prefer to disable, but haven't found any setting for it.

Strangely, my battery percent display under the PHEV menu isn't the same. From my home to our local grocery store is 1.9 miles each way, with a good uphill climb from the house until it levels off, then the same downhill returning. I've always used 3 miles of range to make this round trip, with the percent display showing anywhere from 90-92% (usually 91) when I get home. Made the same trip this morning, and while the range display was the same I returned home showing 95%. I've never come close to making the trip with that much remaining, especially surprising since the range number dropped from 23 to 22 miles noticeably sooner than before. So this update apparently has tweaked the PHEV range and battery calculations. I normally get about 30 miles of range on a full battery. I'll have to see what it looks like after a longer trip. That should happen tomorrow, as I run some errands around town.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Yes, my average "range" changed somewhat when I did the update. Because I don't have range anxiety and know this number is an estimate, I chalked it up to someone thinking they needed to tweak the algorithm.

I have not noticed any change in ACTUAL, range in practice.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,941 Posts
I can also confirm that now text messages on my phone are showing up again on the infotainment screen. I told Kia their last update broke it, but they were certain it had nothing to do with it. Well, nothing changed except this new update, and now it works again. So there, Kia! :p

Made a 21 mile trip this morning with 19 miles of range showing. I got home with 4 miles remaining. I wonder if the update did anything else...

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
52 Posts
I have a 2020 Niro Ex-Premium PHEV with a 10" display. Is there a card slot? I don't see one. Or is it the case all updates are done via UVO and the internet?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,941 Posts
I have a 2020 Niro Ex-Premium PHEV with a 10" display. Is there a card slot? I don't see one. Or is it the case all updates are done via UVO and the internet?
It's probably behind a piece of trim like mine is. Mine is right in the center below the screen, behind a well hidden panel that pops off.

·
Registered
943 Posts

It's behind the little cover just above the hazard light button. At least on the '18 PHEV.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,941 Posts
What new features are included in the new update? Do I miss anything, if I do not do the update (it looks to be a hassle to update, requiring SD card and spending lots of time).
The map is a bit more attractive, although I'm sure there's some other improvements/benefits beyond appearance. The maps themselves are of course updated. They fixed text messages coming through from the phone, so they work again. They fixed a bad design that when you moved through your preset radio stations the button movement direct changed based on what screen was showing. It now moves the same way on all screens.

Not really a hassle. Yes, I decided to buy a new SD card for my first update, rather than overwriting the factory card in case something went wrong. It takes a bit to download, but I can't say how long because that depends on your Internet connection speed. Mine took about 20 minutes with 100 Mbps speed. It takes about 10 minutes to copy the files to the SD card, and then about 20-30 minutes to complete the update in the car. I just left the car on and went back into the house. I turned the HVAC off so there was no chance of the engine firing up, since it was in the garage.

This is the second time I've updated the software. Went much smoother after my first one, simply because I had done it before.

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
52 Posts
JMurph, my dash does not look like yours. I think a larger 10" screen and different layout for controls. Thanks for the pic, though.
Greg, my car is a PHEV built in July 2020, I believe. For the life of me I cannot locate a card slot. Where did you find the slot on your EV? Do you have a 10" screen?

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
52 Posts
Thanks for the info regarding a flash drive. Is there a facility to back up the original configuration before uploading the update?
The infotainment system manual has very little info on updates other than take it to a dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,941 Posts
No backup facility... I don't remember but I don't think it even changed my radio favorites.

Did you read my page on updating? (perhaps read thread from beginning)

Greg
It didn't change my presets, but did reorder them. It put the two FM presets at the top, (they were already there but it reversed the order) and then the 5 SXM presets were next in channel number order. I didn't have the SXM channels like that, but it wasn't important enough to me to redo them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Downloaded the update to USB drive using the updated program. Followed directions about how to update, but all that happens is the sounds on the USB drive get played and when I press update it asks me to “insert the memory that contains the update file and try again.” I saw the first user posted a similar response, but never saw anyone respond to how this was fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, the free update site is finally live... Official Kia Motors Navigation Update Website

Got the installation program for windows and installed.

Then you run it, and you can sign in to the Kia Red program, or others, or continue as a guest, continue as a guest is the way to go.

Then there is another offer to sign up, do it later.

Now you can select your vehicle and download to a flash drive directly from the program, it even indicates that it formats the drive.

Did all that...

Now you are supposed to put the flash drive in the car and use the setup menu... software update... and it should begin updating...

nope, sits there and plays the .wav files that are in the flash... you can see apk files and other stuff, so the next trick is to get it to update.

Sigh.....
Greg... im getting the same issue with just sounds playing. All the files/folders are in the root of the drive, how did you get by this issue?

101 - 120 of 156 Posts