Kia Niro Forum banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro EV EX
2 Posts
Is there enough space that one could fashion some soundproofing (foam for instance) covering around the VESS? Clearly unplugging is straightforward, but if you wanted some of the sound to get through in reverse would this be a good strategy?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 2020 Plug-in Niro for almost a week now. I've figure out how to back out of the garage without waking the neighbors, but it does take a bit of skill. After opening the garage door I put it into reverse. I then immediately put it into neutral. Fortunately my driveway slopes down towards the road so I have just enough momentum to reach the street and put it into drive. Of course I have to look behind me because the backup camera refuses to work in Neutral.
I also have the 2020 Niro EV. There is a setting in the menus that leaves the reverse camera on for a while, even in neutral and forward! (Setup > Display > Extend Rear Camera Use). I do the coast-out-of-the-driveway too.

·
Registered
2020 Red Kia Niro EV EX Premium, 2020 White Kia Niro EV EX Premium
13 Posts
In any case I have a wiring diagram that seems to be right for the newer unit, and am investigating if I can mute it from inside with the disable input wire.

If that works, I might even be able to add the factory button into the dash.
Any progress with figuring this out or if the modification linked in #82 would work?

I just picked up a 2020 Niro EV and that noise is obnoxious. I thought my 2016 and 2018 Soul EV was annoying. I installed a disable switch in my 2016 but that was traded in on the Niro EV so now I no longer have a quiet EV.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It seems the wiring on the 2020s is different, the linked mod starts with 'after a year and a half' so not a 2020.
It would be nice if the manuals on kia global info had actual wiring diagrams........

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,844 Posts
I don't know why they changed the alert level from '19 to '20. The sounds mine make are quite subdued, and I have no issue with them. I've not actually heard a 2020 model, but from what everyone says it must be far louder than mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It seems the wiring on the 2020s is different, the linked mod starts with 'after a year and a half' so not a 2020.
It would be nice if the manuals on kia global info had actual wiring diagrams........
They do have them, in a different section not in the shop manual but a different electrical section

·
Registered
45 Posts
IT appears the wiring goes through connector EE01 in the drivers side front corner. still looking

THe switch wires:
Pink pin 27 EE01 [light for switch]
Blue/Black pin 26 EE01 [ground this, shuts up VESS]

Ground Black Pin 31
Switched power red Pin 4
Unswitched power red/orange pin 3

reverse light relay is in the junction box right near EE01

It appears EE21 pin 36 [orange]is pulled low by the canbus to turn on the back up light relay, and it is in that same box
So in theory, if you tied EE21 Pin 36 to EE01 pin 26, it 'should' shut the back up alarm off

EM11 pin 45 [blue/black] is the other end of EE01 pin 27 where it is supposed to enter the cabin, for the switch we don't have

The VSS section in the shop manual [rather than the electrical manual] shows no connection on pins 3 and 7 at the VESS unit, meaning no wiring out to it for the switch.
It also shows 'flash memory' internal to the VESS unit, meaning in theory the sounds are stored there, and some clever hacker could change them to whatever they wanted

If you go back to post 77, when Ms Ko unplugs the unit, you can clearly see that the blue and pink wires are in the harness, so they must go as far as EE01

·
Registered
13 Posts
I traded in my other Soul EV for another 2020 Niro EV so now I'm doubly interested in getting a solution to the loud VESS system. It also means when my Wife is gone I still have a car to work on regardless of which car she has.

@enirogus I see there are two manuals available on line, a shop manual and an electrical manual. IIRC, the Shop manual is ~$70 and the electrical one is ~$40. Are those the ones you are referring to? Hopefully I can start on figuring this out in the next week or two.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know where you saw those. The 2020 EV manual is available for viewing on the kia website mentioned for 19 bucks, but transcribing it is, errr interesting

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you look at the picture here:

It might just be that the wires for the VESS defeat switch do extend to the dash, there are a pink and blue with black stripe wires at what might be the correct locations, so someone needs to ground the blue/black wire and see if it shuts up

·
Registered
116 Posts
It might help to put a resistance in line with the speaker, I should try 10 Ohm / 2 VA ....

·
Registered
13 Posts
It might help to put a resistance in line with the speaker
The issue is that the speaker isn't a normal speaker. It is a "smart" speaker in the sense that it is controlled by CANBUS messages and not like your typical basic speaker. It has an onboard computer which just responds to commands sent from the car's computers. The 2016 and 2018 Soul EVs had ordinary speakers where a resistor would work (I installed a toggle switch on my 2016 Soul EV.) to quiet them down but not the new speakers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is also the possibility of this button modification. More involved for sure than just unplugging it: Modifications and Tweaks
It's more involved than unplugging a connector that's accessible. Less involved than partially removing the nose cover.
I also like that it's selective. So I can silence it when getting out of my garage, but keep it on in our busy supermarket parking lot.
What I'd really want is to dampen the backup noise (someone said it's over 80db, when the requirement is only 67dB), but the only viable option for most people would be to put some tape on the speaker...

·
Registered
45 Posts
SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wires for the defeat switch do run to the passenger cabin.
I am going to post a more detailed summary, but grounding pin 9 of the connector on the back of the switch panel to the left of the steering wheel shuts off VESS. The panel pops out after removing the door aperture trim and removing one screw and prying a bit.

It is blue with a black stripe.
I will post a new thread in the next day or two with pics etc

You can easily add a switch [say on the fuse box cover] or whatever you chose

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can easily add a switch [say on the fuse box cover] or whatever you chose
I wonder if there is a source of switch panels from a market outside of NA which have the VESS cancel button which we could retrofit and look like it was factory done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, it is done.

First, it must be a momentary switch, if you use a latching switch it will revert to on. That is why there is a light indicator coming from the box, the pushbutton toggles the state of the VESS box active/inactive. So, power the car, push the button and the VESS is off until you restart the car[or push the button again]. SO if you need to back out of your condo complex spot you can push the button before putting it in reverse, and it will shut it up, and you can leave it off[forward and reverse are silenced] or just push it again and have it be normal for the rest of the trip.

You cannot just put a jumper between pin 9[blue/black] and ground[I used pin 24 of connector M26], as it must be a momentary contact.

An idea for a circuit is rattling around my head to 'just' have it not beep in reverse, or beep once, but electronics is not my forte, so I may need to seek assistance. A pair of one shots and a relay......dunno
I have pics and will post a thread later, but I have other things to do.

More detail here: How to disable VESS (Virtual Engine Sound System) on 2020 (US)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I found this circuit diagram:

81 - 100 of 105 Posts