Kia Niro Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just had this problem, and saw a way to fix this on Youtube - do a search for Niro PHEV charging. The fix is to remove the chargeing cable and plug, open the bonnet and pull the orange knob that is used as an emergency release to unlock the plug. You need to pull this hard until you hear a loud click. This fix worked for me.
I think the issue is the lock that locks the plug sometimes gets stuck, and the electronics sees that the plug lock hasn't activated so won't initiate a charge - pulling on the manual release must get the lock working again. If this becomes a persistent problem then the plug locking mechanism needs to be replaced.

I had noticed when plugging in the charging plug, after a few seconds there is usually a large click as the green charge light comes on - the click being the plug lock activating. I noticed when this fault had happened that there was no click and after 15 seconds or so the red fault light would come on.

Here is the Youtube link:

Chris
Thank you Chris, you really solved my problem. The orange knob trick worked on my KIA too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah! Thank you internet! This happened to us also. Charging cable got stuck and manual didnt help at all.. There were nothing about that little Orange knob!
And by the way... It really needed quite a hard pull, that knob.

·
Registered
2 Posts
... If it happens again I'll give it a squirt of WD-40.
UPDATE: Well, it did happen again, soon after my above comment, so rather than mess about with oil, I took it to Kia in Nov 2020. They took 3 visits (!) to replace the charging latch, but all is now well. FIngers crossed - it's obviously a weak spot in an otherwise great car.

·
Registered
Niro PHEV 2017
1 Posts
Evening everyone,
I have just had the same problem with the car not charging (red light on dashboard flashing).
Just want to say thank you for the information relating to the emergency release cable, pulling it has reset it and now charging continues.

Many thanks for the forum and info, greatly appreciated.
Lozza

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my wife's car is having a slightly different problem.

We have a 220v Juicebox Pro installed in the garage that handles charging at home. We have it set to a schedule where charging kicks in at midnight and ends at 8am to take advantage of lower costs.

Everything was fine until about two weeks ago, when my wife came down to discover it hadn't charged and the Juicebox had shut off completely having tripped the breaker. We reset the breaker, Juicebox powered back on, and thought "okay, we'll charge it tonight instead I guess." Nope, tripped it again.

Now, she's using the 110v included charger, and is instead getting overheating issues on that end. She's tried three different outlets, all with minimal external load so plenty of room for the charger, and getting the red plug light from the charger. We've lowered the amperage from 12A to 8A in the hopes she can get SOME sort of charge and be able to make it home.

Obviously we're gonna get the car in for service ASAP, but anyone experiencing something like this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So my wife's car is having a slightly different problem.

We have a 220v Juicebox Pro installed in the garage that handles charging at home. We have it set to a schedule where charging kicks in at midnight and ends at 8am to take advantage of lower costs.

Everything was fine until about two weeks ago, when my wife came down to discover it hadn't charged and the Juicebox had shut off completely having tripped the breaker. We reset the breaker, Juicebox powered back on, and thought "okay, we'll charge it tonight instead I guess." Nope, tripped it again.

Now, she's using the 110v included charger, and is instead getting overheating issues on that end. She's tried three different outlets, all with minimal external load so plenty of room for the charger, and getting the red plug light from the charger. We've lowered the amperage from 12A to 8A in the hopes she can get SOME sort of charge and be able to make it home.

Obviously we're gonna get the car in for service ASAP, but anyone experiencing something like this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Realize this is an older thread, but we just encountered our first issue with not charging (2019 Niro PHEV) Tried many of the fixes suggested to no avail, then thought about a reset of the 110V charger. I unplugged it from the wall socket, waited about 15 seconds and plugged it back in. Voila! Have had no reoccurances in the six days since.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts